postdoc position

Mark Laubach laubach at jbpierce.org
Tue Oct 30 10:17:22 EST 2001

  POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP IN SYSTEMS NEUROPHYSIOLOGY

In the laboratory of
Mark Laubach, Ph.D.
Assistant Fellow, J.B. Pierce Laboratory
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Neurobiology
Yale School of Medicine

A postdoctoral position is available immediately in the lab of Mark
Laubach at the John B. Pierce Laboratory. The focus of the laboratory is
to understand how ensembles of neurons work together to represent
behaviorally relevant information and how representations of animal
behavior are altered in relation to experience. There are three
experimental themes of the lab. First, we are examining how tactile and
olfactory stimuli are encoded at various levels of the nervous system.
Second, we are investigating how representations of stimuli that control
behavior are altered by sensorimotor and discrimination learning.
Finally, we are beginning to study how sensorimotor capabilities are
altered by aging.

A major component of this research involves the use of multielectrode
recording methods to record simultaneously from groups of neurons in
multiple brain areas in awake, behaving animals. The lab is a
state-of-the-art facility for carrying out neuronal ensemble recording
experiments and for performing quantitative analysis of neuronal
ensemble data.  We are active in improving methods for neuronal ensemble
recording through several collaborative projects, both locally at Yale
and elsewhere. A major goal is to carry out spike sorting and spike
train analyses on-line and in real experimental time using modern
methods for signal processing, statistical pattern recognition, and
parallel, real-time computing. Finally, we are engaged in some
computational studies to better understand potential network properties
that may give rise to the patterns of neuronal ensemble activity that
can be used to predict an animal's behavior at a given instant in time.

Interested candidates should send a vita, a summary of research
experience, and the names of three individuals who can write letters of
recommendation to:

Mark Laubach, Ph.D.
The John B. Pierce Laboratory
Yale School of Medicine