Parallel Paper Submission

Prof. Michael Stiber stiber at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 30 17:18:33 EST 2001

Adriaan Tijsseling writes:

 > Researchers who have read a paper in that database can submit a review or
 > score, provided they are subscribed (for free of course) to that kind of
 > service. Over time, any paper would be accumulating reviews and scores, much
 > to the benefit of the author. After all, it would not be restricted to one
 > or two or three reviewers, but to anyone interested in the paper. Of course,
 > as someone pointed out to me, this may mean some papers might never be
 > reviewed (But then, one could actively request a review).
 >
 > These are just loose ideas, but I really feel the time is there to make away
 > with tedious reviewing, editing, and publishing and instead use what is
 > already there: internet.

Actually, the scoring system you mention is also already there: ISI
Web of Science (the electronic version of the Science Citation Index).
In this case, scores are the number of times that a paper has been
cited, with links to the citing works (which in effect review the
paper by using its results).  Unfortunately, it isn't public domain.

Mike Stiber

Prof. Michael Stiber                    stiber at u.washington.edu
Computing and Software Systems          http://faculty.washington.edu/stiber
University of Washington, Bothell       tel: +1-425-352-5280
Box 358534, 18115 Campus Way NE         fax: +1-425-352-5216
Bothell, WA 98011-8246 USA