Parallel Paper Submission

Adriaan Tijsseling adriaan at tijsseling.com
Fri Nov 30 06:38:47 EST 2001

> http://www.neci.nec.com/~lawrence/papers/online-nature01/
>
> Steve Lawrence presents evidence that online papers are 5 times
> more likely to be cited than those not online.

Amen to that! Which was basically my point as well when I suggested a
central repository for papers. Some assumed I was talking about journals
making paper submission an online thing. But in fact, why are we still going
for paper? Research would speed up much more if work could be published
online in a searchable and widely accessible database. Would that cost
money? None at all. All that is needed is a fast server and a reliable host.

Researchers who have read a paper in that database can submit a review or
score, provided they are subscribed (for free of course) to that kind of
service. Over time, any paper would be accumulating reviews and scores, much
to the benefit of the author. After all, it would not be restricted to one
or two or three reviewers, but to anyone interested in the paper. Of course,
as someone pointed out to me, this may mean some papers might never be
reviewed (But then, one could actively request a review).

These are just loose ideas, but I really feel the time is there to make away
with tedious reviewing, editing, and publishing and instead use what is
already there: internet.

Adriaan Tijsseling