Adaptive Brain Interfaces

Fri Dec 21 20:10:01 EST 2001

Hi,

at

http://sta.jrc.it/abi

you can find info about the very interesting
Esprit Project Adaptive Brain Interfaces.

jbf.

[ Moderator's note: here are the first three paragraphs from that web page:

  "The objective of the ABI project is to use EEG signals as an
  alternative means of interaction with computers. We seek to recognise
  five mental states from on-line spontaneous EEG signals by means of
  artificial neural networks, which are associated to simple
  commands. For instance, to select an item from a computer screen it
  suffices 5 mental states; four of them will move the pointer "up",
  "down", "left", and "right", while the fifth pattern will "click" and
  activate the item underneath the pointer.

  We seek to build individual brain interfaces rather than universal
  ones valid for everybody and forever. Our approach is based on a
  mutual learning process whereby the individual user and the ABI are
  coupled and adapt to each other: a neural network learns user-specific
  EEG patterns describing the mental tasks while subjects learn to think
  in such a way that they are better understood by their personal
  interface. In other words, every single user chooses his/her most
  natural mental tasks to concentrate on (e.g., relaxation,
  visualisation, music composition, arithmetic, preparation of
  movements) and also the preferred strategies to undertake those tasks.

  Another concern of this project is the robust recognition of EEG
  patterns outside laboratory settings. This presumes the existence of
  an appropriate EEG equipment that should be compact, easy-to-use, and
  suitable for deployment in natural environments. No such a commercial
  EEG system exists, and we will manufacture an appropriate helmet with
  integrated and amplified electrodes."

   ]