fMRI Research Associate and Ph.D Studentships

Nigel Goddard Nigel.Goddard at ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 3 18:21:05 EDT 2001

OPPORTUNITIES IN FUNCTIONAL MRI & NEUROINFORMATICS AT EDINBURGH

The Centre for Functional Imaging Studies has the following position
and studentships available.  For details see http://anc.ed.ac.uk/CFIS.

1. Research Associate in Functional MRI.  An outstanding opportunity
   to gain a wide range of experience in all of the techniques used in
   fMRI studies and across a wide range of studies.  Closing April 13th.
   Intending applicants should consult the website and contact by email
   Nigel.Goddard at ed.ac.uk as soon as possible.

2. A possible MRC-funded Ph.D. studentship in memory impairment in
   schizophrenia.  Closing April 29th.

3. An MRC-funded Ph.D. studentship with superior stipend, focused on
   methodology in the context of one or more of our ongoing fMRI
   studies.  Closing May 1st.

The Centre for Functional Imaging Studies at the University of
Edinburgh has been established to provide a focal grouping for
expertise and experience in the methodologies used in functional brain
imaging. The Centre undertakes and assists with imaging-based studies
of brain function, working with research groups at Edinburgh and
elsewhere. Our current focus is studies of cognitive function using
functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging in collaboration with the SHEFC
Brain Imaging Research Centre at the Western General Hospital, which
houses the research-dedicated MRI scanner (see the BIRC website at
http://www.dcn.ed.ac.uk/bic) .  We have extensive facilities for fMRI
studies including a parallel computer, high-speed networking, a large
online data archive, state-of-the art stimulus presentation and
paradigm programming software and hardware, and a custom-built
simulator.  We have a wide range of experience in paradigm design,
with ongoing projects including clinical studies of schizophrenia,
depression, pain, conversion and sleep disorders; scientific studies
in language, decision-making, memory and affect; and methodological
studies in realtime fMRI, repeatability, and statistical data
analysis.