Faculty position at University of Edinburgh, UK

Chris Williams ckiw at dai.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jun 20 14:20:06 EDT 2000

Apologies if you receive this message multiple times.

I am keen to encourage people from the machine learning/probabilistic
modelling fields who work on life sciences problems to apply.
I shall be attending the ICML/UAI conferences at Stanford
and will be happy to discuss this further with interested parties.

Chris Williams

Dr Chris Williams                                         ckiw at dai.ed.ac.uk
Institute for Adaptive and Neural Computation
Division of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
5 Forrest Hill, Edinburgh EH1 2QL, Scotland, UK      fax: +44 131 650 6899
tel: (direct) +44 131 651 1212  (department switchboard)  +44 131 650 3090
http://anc.ed.ac.uk/

	INFORMATICS AND ITS APPLICATION TO THE LIFE SCIENCES

The Division of Informatics at the University of Edinburgh
(http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk) is seeking to make an appointment in
the area of Informatics and its applications to the Life Sciences. This
is aimed not only at extending the applications of Informatics to
biological problems but also at stimulating fundamental research in
Informatics.

The Division has inherited a very strong tradition of research in computer
systems, theoretical computer science, cognitive science, artificial
intelligence, robotics and neural networks. The successful candidate will
add to our existing strengths in research and teaching, encourage the
integration of his or her own research with that of others and contribute
to the development of Informatics. The successful candidate can anticipate
profitable involvement with local researchers in Biology, Medicine and
Veterinary Medicine, including the new Edinburgh Genomic Microarray
Facility (http://www.gmf-microarray.ed.ac.uk/). It is anticipated that the
successful candidate will take a leadership role in the rapidly expanding
bioinformatics enterprise at the University.

The appointment will be at the Lecturer (17,238 pounds - 30,065 pounds),
or Senior Lecturer or Readership (31,356 pounds - 35,670 pounds) scale.
(Salary scales under review.)

Further particulars can be found at

  http://www.informatics.ed.ac.uk/events/vacancies/life_sciences_fp.html

and applications packs can be obtained from the PERSONNEL DEPARTMENT,
The University of Edinburgh, 9-16 Chambers Street, Edinburgh EH1 1HT, UK

Closing date: 28 July 2000

Please quote reference number 306395.

Informal questions and requests for information can be sent to
  d.willshaw at cns.ed.ac.uk
  bonnie.webber at ed.ac.uk