faculty positions in biomedical image/signal analysis at UC Irvine

Padhraic Smyth smyth at sifnos.ICS.UCI.EDU
Tue Jan 4 17:41:37 EST 2000

Dear Connectionist Colleagues,

     UCI has 5 new faculty slots currently open in our biomedical
engineering department - the department was started last year based
on an award from the Whittaker Foundation and is expected to grow
substantially over the next few years. See
http://soeweb.eng.uci.edu/bme/jobs.stm  for details.

       One area of particular relevance to readers of this list
is biomedical image and signal analysis: there are excellent
opportunities for collaborative research across campus in this
area at present, e.g., we have very active medical and biological
research programs in brain imaging (e.g., in Alzheimer's research,
autism research) with significant opportunities for interdisciplinary
projects. Note that researchers whose focus is specifically in medical
imaging (for example) are likely to be of more interest to UCI than
researchers interested in image analysis in general.

       Other listed research areas of potential interest to connectionists
are computational neuroscience, quantitative modeling of biological
systems, and parallel and/or distributed biomedical computational
systems.

        Note that although the advertised deadline is January 1, late
applications are still welcome - I meant to send this email out
last Fall :). Positions are available at both senior and junior
levels.

      Please do not send your applications to me personally (use
the address on the Web page). But feel free to let me know you have
applied, particularly if you apply in the image/signal
analysis area.

Padhraic Smyth
Information and Computer Science
University of California, Irvine