Article on Hebbian learning

Christian Eurich eurich at theo.physik.uni-bremen.de
Fri Dec 17 04:37:00 EST 1999

Dear Connectionists,

on the occasion of the recent NIPS workshop "Spike Timing and Synaptic
Plasticity" organized by Paul Munro and Larry Abbott I would like to
call your attention to the following article on the problem of delay
adaptation and the stability of time sensitive Hebbian learning for
different window functions. The article appeared in  the Feb 15 issue of
Physical Review Letters. Hardcopies are available on request.

Christian W. Eurich, Klaus Pawelzik, Udo Ernst, Jack D. Cowan and John
G. Milton,
Dynamics of Self-Organized Delay Adaptation,
Physical Review Letters 82 (1999) 1594-1597.

Abstract:
Adaptation of interaction delays is essential for the functioning of
many natural and technical systems. We introduce a novel framework for
studying the dynamics of delay adaptation in systems which optimize
coincidence of inputs. For the important case of periodically modulated
input we derive conditions for the existence and stability of solutions
which constrain the set of mechanisms for reliable delay adaptation.
Using numerical examples we show that our approach is applicable to more
general than periodic input patterns such as Poissonian point processes
with coordinated rate fluctuations.

Cheers,
Christian Eurich

Dr. Christian Eurich
Universitaet Bremen
Institut fuer Theoretische Neurophysik, FB 1
Postfach 330 440
D-28334 Bremen
Germany

Phone:       +49 (421) 218-4559
Fax:         +49 (421) 218-9104
Phone home:  +49 (421) 5577208
Fax home:    +49 (421) 5577050
e-mail:      eurich at physik.uni-bremen.de
homepage:    http://www-neuro.physik.uni-bremen.de/~eurich

 "Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist." (L. W.)