Paper available: blind source separation

Hagai Attias hagai at phy.ucsf.EDU
Wed Jan 21 19:04:29 EST 1998

A new paper on blind separation of mixed and convolved sources
is available at:

             http://keck.ucsf.edu/~hagai/papers.html

             BLIND SOURCE SEPARATION AND DECONVOLUTION:
             THE DYNAMIC COMPONENT ANALYSIS ALGORITHM

              Hagai Attias and Christoph E. Schreiner
              University of California, San Francisco
                        hagai at phy.ucsf.edu

                (Neural Computation 1998, in press)

   We present a novel family of unsupervised learning algorithms for
   blind separation of mixed and convolved sources. Our approach,
   termed `dynamic component analysis' (DCA), is based on formulating
   the separation problem as a learning task of a spatio-temporal
   generative model. The resulting learning rules achieve separation
   by exploiting high-order spatio-temporal statistics of the observed
   data. Using an extension of the relative-gradient concept to the
   spatio-temporal case, we derive different rules by learning
   generative models in the frequency and time domains, whereas a hybrid
   frequency/time model leads to the best performance.

   These algorithms generalize independent component analysis (ICA)
   to the case of convolutive mixtures, and exhibit superior performance
   on instantaneous mixtures. In Addition, our approach can incorporate
   information about the mixing situation when available, resulting in a
   `semi-blind' separation algorithm. Finally, the spatio-temporal
   redundancy reduction performed by DCA algorithms is shown to be
   equivalent to information-rate maximization through a simple network.