Paper Available on Rotation Invariant Face Detection

Shumeet Baluja baluja at jprc.com
Wed Jan 21 17:03:36 EST 1998

Rotation Invariant Neural Network-Based Face Detection

by:
Henry Rowley
Shumeet Baluja
Takeo Kanade

Abstract:
In this paper, we present a neural network-based face detection
system.  Unlike similar systems which are limited to detecting
upright, frontal faces, this system detects faces at any degree of
rotation in the image plane.  The system employs multiple networks;
the first is a ``router'' network which processes each input window to
determine its orientation and then uses this information to prepare
the window for one or more ``detector'' networks.  We present the
training methods for both types of networks.  We also perform
sensitivity analysis on the networks, and present empirical results on
a large test set.  Finally, we present preliminary results for
detecting faces which are rotated out of the image plane, such as
profiles and semi-profiles.

This is Technical Report: CMU-CS-97-201

Available from:

        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~har/faces.html