WORKSHOP PROGRAM: Fuzzy-Neuro-Systems '98

Clemens Kirchmair kirchmai at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Fri Jan 16 08:08:59 EST 1998

               ----------------------------------
               |    Fuzzy-Neuro Systems '98     |
               | - Computational Intelligence - |
               |                                |
               |   5th International Workshop   |
               |      March, 19 - 20, 1998      |
               ----------------------------------

                Technische Universitaet Muenchen
                Gesellschaft fuer Informatik e.V.
               Fachausschuss 1.2 "Inferenzsysteme"

                Technische Universitaet Muenchen
                    Institut fuer Informatik

Fuzzy-Neuro Systems '98 is the fifth event of a well established
series of workshops with international participation. Its aim is to
give an overview of the state of art in research and development of
fuzzy systems and artificial neural networks. Another aim is to
highlight applications of these methods and to forge innovative links
between theory and application by means of creative discussions.

Fuzzy-Neuro Systems '98 is being organized by the Technical Committee
1.2 "Inference Systems" (Fachausschuss 1.2 "Inferenzsysteme") of the
German Informatics Society GI (Gesellschaft fuer Informatik e. V.) and
Institut fuer Informatik, Technische Universitaet Muenchen in
cooperation with Siemens AG and with the support of Kratzer
Automatisierung GmbH. The workshop takes place at the Technische
Universitaet Muenchen in Munich from March, 19 to 20, 1998.

PROGRAM
-------

Wednesday, March 18, 1998

18:00	Informal Get-Together
	Registration

21:00	End of reception and registration

Thursday, March 19, 1998

8:00	Registration

9:00	Formal Opening
	President, TU Muenchen
	Dekan, Institut fuer Informatik, TU Muenchen
	Workshop Chair

9:15	Invited Lecture 1: Sets, Fuzzy Sets and Rough Sets
	Zdzislaw Pawlak, Warsaw University of Technology, Poland
	Chairman: W. Brauer, TU Muenchen

10:00	Session 1: Fuzzy Control
	Chairman: R. Isermann, TU Darmstadt

	Indirect Adaptive Sugeno Fuzzy Control
	J. Abonyi, L. Nagy, S. Ferenc, University of Veszprem,
	Veszprem, Hungary

	Simultaneous Creation of Fuzzy Sets and Rules for Hierarchical
	Fuzzy Systems
	R. Holve, FORWISS, Erlangen, Germany

10:50	Coffee break - Presentation of Posters

11:10	Session 2: Neural Networks for Classification
	Chairman: K. Obermayer, TU Berlin

	Hybrid Systems for Time Series Classification
	C. Neukirchen, G. Rigoll, Gerhard-Mercator-Universitaet, Duisburg

	How Parallel Plug-in Classifiers Optimally Contribute to the
	Overall System
	W. Utschick, J.A. Nossek, TU Muenchen

12:00	Invited Lecture 2: Is Readibility Compatible with Accuracy?
	Hugues Bersini, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium
	Chairman: J. Hollatz, Siemens AG, Muenchen

12:45	Lunch

14:00	Session 3: Fuzzy Logic in Data Analysis
	Chairman: C. Freksa, Universitaet Hamburg

	Fuzzy Topographic Kernel Clustering
	T. Graepel, K. Obermayer, TU Berlin

	Dynamic Data Analysis: Similarity Between Trajectories
	A. Joentgen, L. Mikenina, R. Weber, H.-J. Zimmermann, RWTH Aachen

	Spatial Reasoning with Uncertain Data Using Stochastic Relaxation
	R. Moratz, C. Freksa, Universitaet Hamburg

	Noise Clustering For Partially Supervised Classifier Design
	C. Otte, P. Jensch, Universitaet Oldenburg

	Fuzzy c-Mixed Prototypes Clustering
	C. Stutz, TU Muenchen
	T.A. Runkler, Siemens AG, Muenchen

16:00	Coffee break - Presentation of Posters

16:30	Invited Lecture 3: Neural Network Architectures for Time Series
	Prediction with Applications to Financial Data Forecasting
	Hans-Georg Zimmermann, Siemens AG, Muenchen
	Chairman: R. Rojas, FU Berlin

17:15	Session 4: Fuzzy-Neuro Systems
	Chairman: R. Kruse, Universitaet Magdeburg

	A Neuro-Fuzzy Approach to Feedforward Modeling of Nonlinear Time Series
	T. Briegel, V. Tresp, Siemens AG, Muenchen

	A Learning Algorithm for Fuzzy Neural Nets
	T. Feuring,Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet Muenster
	James J. Buckley, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, USA

	Improving a priori Control Knowledge by Reinforcement Learning
	M. Spott, M. Riedmiller, Universitaet Karlsruhe

18:30	End of First Day

20:00	Conference Dinner

Friday, March 20, 1998

9:00	Session 5: Applications
	Chairman: G. Nakhaeizadeh, Daimler Benz AG, Forschung + Technik, Ulm

	Batch Recipe Optimization with Neural Networks and Genetice Algorithms
	K. Eder, Kratzer Automatisierung GmbH, Unterschleissheim

	Robust Tuning of Power System Stabilizers by an Accelerated Fuzzy-Logic
	Based Genetic Algorithm
	M. Khederzadeh, Power and Water Institute of Technology, Tehran, Iran

	Relating Chemical Structure to Activity: An Application of the Neural
	Folding Architecture
	T. Schmitt, C. Goller, TU Muenchen

	Optimization of a Fuzzy System Using Evolutionary Algorithms
	Q. Zhuang, M. Kreutz, J. Gayko, Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum

10:40	Coffee break - Presentation of Posters

11:00	Invited Lecture 4: Advanced Fuzzy-Concepts and Applications
	Harro Kiendl, Universitaet Dortmund
	Chairman: K. Eder, Kratzer Automatisierung GmbH, Unterschleissheim

11:45	Session 6: Theory and Foundations of Fuzzy-Logic
	Chairman: P. Klement, Universitaet Linz, Austria

	Rule Weights in Fuzzy Systems
	D. Nauck, R. Kruse, Universitaet Magdeburg

	Sliding-Mode-Based analysis of Fuzzy Gain Schedulers - The MIMO Case
	R. Palm, Siemens AG, Muenchen
	D. Driankov, University of Linkoeping, Sweden

	Qualitative Operators For Dealing With Uncertainty
	H. Seridi, Universite de Reims, France
	F. Bannay-Dupin, Universite d'Angers, France
	H. Akdag, Universite P. & M. Curie, Paris, France

13:00	Lunch

14:00	Session 7: Theory and Foundations of Neural Networks
	Chairman: A. Grauel, Universitaet Paderborn

	Prestructured Recurrent Neural Networks
	T. Brychcy, TU Muenchen

	Formalizing Neural Networks
	I. Fischer, University of Erlangen
	M. Koch, Technical University of Berlin
	M.R. Berthold, University of California, Berkeley, USA

	Correlation and Regression Based Neuron Pruning Strategies
	M. Rychetsky, S. Ortmann, C. Labeck, M. Glesner, TU Darmstadt

15:15	Invited Lecture 5: Soft Computing: the Synergistic Interaction of
	Fuzzy, 	Neural, and Evolutionary Computation
	Piero P. Bonissone, General Electric Corporate R&D Artificial
	Intelligence Laboratory, Schenectady, USA
	Chairman: S. Gottwald, Universitaet Leipzig

16:00	Closing Remarks and Invitation to FNS'99

Posters
-------

Comparing Fuzzy Graphs
M.R. Berthold, University of California, Berkeley, USA
K.-P. Huber, Universitaet Karlsruhe

A Numerical Approach to Approximate Reasoning via a Symbolic
Interface.  Application to Image Classification
A. Borgi, H. Akdag, Universite P. & M. Curie, Paris, France
J.-M. Bazin, Universite de Reims, France

Entropy-Controlled Probabilistic Search
M. David, J. Gottlieb, I. Kupka, TU Clausthal

Ensembles of Evolutionary Created Artificial Neural Networks
C.M. Friedrich, Universitaet Witten/Herdecke

Design and Implementation of a Flexible Simulation Tool for Hybrid
Problem Solving
H. Geiger, IBV and TU Muenchen
J. Pfalzgraf, K. Frank, T. Neuboeck, J. Weichenberger, Universitaet
Salzburg, Austria
A. Buecherl, TU Muenchen

A Fuzzy Invariant Indexing Technique for Object Recognition under
Partial Occlusion
T. Graf, A. Knoll, A. Wolfram, Universitaet Bielefeld

Fuzzy Causal Networks
R. Hofmann, V. Tresp, Siemens AG, Muenchen

Dynamic Data Analysis: Problem Description And Solution Approaches
A. Joentgen, L. Mikenina, R. Weber, H.-J. Zimmermann, RWTH Aachen

Filtering and Compressing Information by Neural Information Processor
R. Kamimura, Tokai University, Japan

A Fuzzy Local Map with Asymmetric Smoothing Using Voronoi Diagrams
B. Lang, Siemens AG, Muenchen

Fuzzy Interface with Prior Concepts and Non-convex Regularization
J.C. Lemm, Universitaet Muenster

Modeling and Simulating a Time-Dependent Physical System Using Fuzzy
Techniques and a Recurrent Neural Network
A. Nuernberger, A. Radetzky, R. Kruse, Universitaet Magdeburg

The Kohonen Network Incorporating Explicit Statistics and Its
Application to the Traveling Salesman Problem
B.J. Oommen, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada

Automated Feature Selection Strategies: An experimental comparison
improving Engine Knock Detection
S. Ortmann, M. Rychetsky, M. Glesner, TU Darmstadt

A Fuzzy-Neuro System for Reconstruction of Multi-Sensor information
S. Petit-Renaud, T. Deneux, Universite de Technologie de Compiegne,
Compiegne, France

RACE: Relational Alternating Cluster Estimation and the Wedding Table
Problem
T.A. Runkler, Siemens AG, Muenchen
J.C. Bezdek, University of West Florida, Pensacola, USA

Neural Networks Handle Technological Information for Milling if
Training Data is Carefully Preprocessed
G. Schulz, D. Fichtner, A. Nestler, J. Hoffmann, TU Dresden

Medically Motivated Testbed for Reinforcement Learning in Neural
Architectures
D. Surmeli, G. Koehler, H.-M. Gross, TU Ilmenau

Adaptive Input-Space Clustering for Continuous Learning Tasks
M. Tagscherer, P. Protzel, FORWISS, Erlangen

A Criminalistic And Forensic Application Of Neural Networks
A. Tenhagen, T. Feuring, W.-M. Lippe, G. Henke, H. Lahl, WWU-Muenster

A Classical and a Fuzzy System Based Algorithm for the Simulation of
the Waste Humidity in a Landfill
M. Theisen, M. Glesner, TU Darmstadt

FuNN, A Fuzzy Neural Logic Model
R. Yasdi, GMD - Forschungszentrum Informationstechnik, Sankt Augustin

An Efficient Model for Learning Systems of High-Dimensional Input
within Local Scenarios
J. Zhang, V. Schwert, Universitaet Bielefeld

Optimization of a Fuzzy Controller for a Driver Assistant System
Q. Zhuang, J. Gayko, M. Kreutz, Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum

Program Committee
-----------------

Prof. Dr. W. Banzhaf, Universitaet Dortmund
Dr. M. Berthold, Universitaet Karlsruhe
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. W. Brauer, TU Muenchen (Chairman)
Prof. Dr. G. Brewka, Universitaet Leipzig
Dr. K. Eder, Kratzer Automatisierung GmbH, Unterschleissheim
Prof. Dr. C. Freksa, Universitaet Hamburg
Prof. Dr. M. Glesner, TU Darmstadt
Prof. Dr. S. Gottwald, Universitaet Leipzig
Prof. Dr. A. Grauel, Universitaet Paderborn/Soest
Prof. Dr. H.-M. Gross, TU Ilmenau
Dr. A. Guenter, Universitaet Bremen
Dr. J. Hollatz, Siemens AG, Muenchen
Prof. Dr. R. Isermann, TU Darmstadt
Prof. Dr. P. Klement, Universitaet Linz, Austria
Prof. Dr. R. Kruse, Universitaet Magdeburg (Vice Chairman)
Prof. Dr. B. Mertsching, Universitaet Hamburg
Prof. Dr. G. Nakhaeizadeh, Daimler Benz AG, Forschung + Technik, Ulm
Prof. Dr. K. Obermayer, TU Berlin
Prof. Dr. G. Palm, Universitaet Ulm
Dr. R. Palm, Siemens AG, Muenchen
Dr. L. Peters, GMD - Forschungszentrum Informationstechnik GmbH, Sankt Augustin
Prof. Dr. F. Pichler, Universitaet Linz, Austria
Dr. P. Protzel, FORWISS, Erlangen
Prof. Dr. B. Reusch, Universitaet Dortmund
Prof. Dr. Rigoll, Universitaet Duisburg
Prof. Dr. R. Rojas, Freie Universitaet Berlin
Prof. Dr. B. Schuermann, Siemens AG, Muenchen (Vice Chairman)
Prof. Dr. W. von Seelen, Universitaet Bochum
Prof. Dr. H. Thiele, Universitaet Dortmund
Prof. Dr. W. Wahlster, Universitaet Saarbruecken
Prof. Dr. H.-J. Zimmermann, RWTH Aachen

Organization Committee
----------------------

Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. W. Brauer (Chairman)
Dieter Bartmann
Till Brychcy
Clemens Kirchmair
Technische Universitaet Muenchen
Tel.: 0 89/2 89-2 84 19
Fax:  0 89/2 89-2 84 83

Dr. Juergen Hollatz,
Siemens AG, Muenchen (Vice Chairman)

Christine Harms,
- ccHa -, Sankt Augustin

Conference Site
---------------

TU Muenchen
Barerstrasse 23
Entrance: Arcisstrasse

Lecture hall S0320
D-80333 Muenchen

Workshop Secretariat
--------------------

Christine Harms
c/o GMD / FNS'98
Schloss Birlinghoven
D-53754 Sankt Augustin
Tel.:  ++49 2241 14-24 73
Fax:   ++49 2241 14-24 72
email: christine.harms at gmd.de

Registration
------------

Please make your (binding) reservation by sending the enclosed
registration form to the conference secretariat. Confirmation will be
given after receipt of the registration form.

Conference Fees: (see registration form)
	industry rate:			495,- DM
	university rate:		345,- DM
	GI members:			295,- DM
	authors:			295,- DM
	students (up to age of 26):	 60,- DM (*)
*) excluding proceedings and conference dinner.

A surcharge of DM 100,- is payable for registration after February, 18,
1998. Services of Gesellschaft fuer Informatik e. V. (GI) are VAT-free
according to German law p. 4 Nr. 22a UStG.

Payment (see registration form)
-------

[ ]	I have transferred the whole amount of DM________ to Gesellschaft
	fuer Informatik (GI), Sparkasse Bonn

	Account No.: 39 479
	Bankcode: 380 500 00
	Ref: SK-Fuzzy-98

[ ]	I enclose a Eurocheque amounting to made payable to Gesellschaft
	fuer Informatik

[ ]	Please debit my      [ ] Diners   [ ] Visa   [ ] Euro/Mastercard
	Cardnumber:
	Expiration date:
	Cardholder:

Social events
-------------

Informal get-together:	March, 18, 1998, 18.00 - 21.00
Conference dinner:	Thursday, March, 19,1998.

Accommodation
-------------

A limited number of rooms has been reserved at the FORUM/Penta Hotel
at the special rate of

	single room	DM	175,-
	double room 	DM	200,-
	FORUM Hotel
	Hochstrasse 3
	D-81669 Muenchen

Cancellation
------------

If cancellation is received up to February, 17, 1998, a 75% refund
will be given.  For cancellations received afterwards, no refunds can
be guaranteed.

WWW-Homepage
------------

----- snip, snip -----

Registration form for Fuzzy-Neuro Systems '98

Please register me as follows

Conference Fees:
----------------

	[ ]	industry rate:			495,- DM
	[ ]	university rate:		345,- DM
	[ ]	GI member No.			295,- DM
	[ ]	authors:			295,- DM
	[ ]	students (up to age of 26):	 60,- DM (*)
	*) excluding proceedings and conference dinner

Accommodation:
--------------

I would like to make a binding reservation at the FORUM/Penta Hotel

	[ ]	single room	DM	175,-
	[ ]	double room 	DM	200,-

	(together with ____________________________)
	Arrival date ______________________________
	Departure date ___________________________

Payment directly at the hotel. Hotel booking has to be made until
February, 17, 1998. After that we cannot guarantee any bookings.

Conference diner:
-----------------

	[ ]	I intend to participate in the conference dinner
	......	extra ticket for conference dinner DM 50,-.

Payment:
--------

	[ ]	I have transferred the whole amount of DM________ to
		Gesellschaft fuer Informatik (GI),
			Sparkasse Bonn
			Account No.: 39 479
			Bankcode:    380 500 00
			Reference:   SK-Fuzzy-98

	[ ]	I enclose a Eurocheque amounting to DM_________ made

Date:___________	Signature:__________________

Sender:
-------

Last Name
(Mr. / Mrs. / MS. Title):	________________________________________

First Name:			________________________________________

Affiliation:			________________________________________

Street/POB:			________________________________________

Zip/Postal
Code/City:			________________________________________

Country:			________________________________________

Phone/Fax:			________________________________________

If you would like to take part in the workshop, please send the completed
registration form to

	Christine Harms
	c/o GMD / FNS'98
	Schloss Birlinghoven