Tech Report on regularisation in sequential learning

J.F. Gomes De Freitas jfgf at eng.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 10:46:08 EST 1998

Hi

A technical report on regularisation in sequential learning is now
available at

ftp://svr-ftp.eng.cam.ac.uk/pub/reports/freitas_tr307.ps.gz
(SVR - Cambridge)

The paper covers topics such as Bayesian inference with hierarchical models,
extended Kalman filtering, regularisation, adaptive learning rates and automatic
relevance determination. It is a longer version of a recent NIPS
publication and feedback will be gratefully appreciated. I hope you find
it interesting too.

ABSTRACT:

In this paper, we show that a hierarchical Bayesian modelling approach
to sequential learning leads to many interesting attributes such as
regularisation and automatic relevance determination. We identify
three inference levels within this hierarchy, namely model selection,
parameter estimation and noise estimation. In environments where data
arrives sequentially ,techniques such as cross-validation to achieve
regularisation or model selection are not possible. The Bayesian
approach, with extended Kalman filtering at the parameter estimation
level, allows for regularisation within a minimum variance framework.A
multi-layer perceptron is used to generate the extended Kalman filter
nonlinear measurements mapping. We describe several algorithms at the
noise estimation level, which allow us to implement adaptive
regularisation and automatic relevance determination of model inputs and
basis functions. An important contribution of this paper is to show the
theoretical links between adaptive noise estimation in extended Kalman
filtering, multiple adaptive learning rates and multiple smoothing
regularisation coefficients.

Thanks
Nando de Freitas

JFG de Freitas (Nando)