Record/archive of debate?

Arun Jagota jagota at cse.ucsc.edu
Fri Aug 21 22:09:09 EDT 1998

It would be nice if some sort of a record of the "Connectionist
Symbol Processing" debate were to be produced and archived for
the benefit of the community.

With this in mind I have a specific proposal (which ties in with
an unusual idea I have thought about on occasion).

	I invite interested individuals (especially those
	who contributed to this e-debate) to consider
	contributing a brief survey of their relevant
	work (positive or negative) on Connectionist Symbol Processing,
	a brief survey of some other group's relevant work that they
	are well-acquainted with, or a brief summary of their position
	on this topic.

	The aim is to collect these contributions into an informal,
	survey-type, "distributed article". Contributors whose contributions
	would be accepted would become its co-authors (hence the term
	distributed). Such an article, individual contribution acceptance
	and "article-wide review for improvement" processes yet to be
	determined, I would aim to have archived in Neural Computing Surveys.

	If you are seriously interested in contributing, inform me of
	your intent to contribute by e-mail (jagota at cse.ucsc.edu). Whether
	we proceed to the implementation phase will depend on the feedback
	I receive.

	I'd expect contributions to range from half a page to a page.
	Contributors to this planned article who contributed e-mail
	messages to this debate might well send polished versions
	of their e-mail messages (but clearly not those of others)
	as contributions.

	Also, plain text contributions will normally suffice.

	(My aim is to make it as easy as possible for you to contribute
	what specialized knowledge you have access to, towards this
	hopefully community-benefiting article. Having said that, there
	will be some sort of individual contribution review/acceptance
	threshold and subsequent article-wide review.)

	I will not be a author.

For comments/questions, contact me directly, NOT the connectionists list.

Arun Jagota
jagota at cse.ucsc.edu