PhD student jobs

Juergen Schmidhuber juergen at idsia.ch
Fri Aug 21 12:28:52 EDT 1998

******** ETH Zurich and IDSIA in Lugano (Switzerland) *******

         PhD student positions

We are seeking two outstanding PhD candidates for an exciting research
project that combines machine learning (reinforcement learning,
evolutionary computation, neural nets) and computational fluid
dynamics. We intend to tackle problems such as drag minimisation,
noise control, etc, using innovative control devices such as synthetic
actuators, active skins, etc.

This is a joint project of the Institute of Fluid Dynamics at ETH Zurich
and the machine learning research institute IDSIA in Lugano (IDSIA ranked
among the world's top ten AI labs in the 1997 "X-Lab Survey" by Business
Week Magazine).  Both are located in Switzerland, origin of the WWW and
country with highest citation impact factor as well as most Nobel prizes
and supercomputing capacity per capita. We will maintain very active links
to Fluid Dynamics and AI institutes at Stanford University and NASA Ames
Research Center.  We offer an attractive Swiss PhD student salary.

Highly qualified candidates are sought with a background in computational
sciences, engineering, mathematics, physics or other relevant areas.
Applicants should submit : (i) Detailed curriculum vitae, (ii) List
of three references (and their email addresses), (ii) Transcripts of
undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) studies and (iii) Concise
statement of their research interests (two pages max).  Candidates are
also encouraged to submit their scores in the Graduate Record Examination
(GRE) general test (if available). Please send all documents to:

Petros Koumoutsakos,                              www.ifd.mavt.ethz.ch
Institute for Fluid Dynamics
ETH Zentrum, CH-8092, Zurich,  Switzerland

OR

Juergen Schmidhuber                                      www.idsia.ch
IDSIA, Corso Elvezia 36, 6900-Lugano, Switzerland

Applications (with WWW pointers to studies or papers, if available)
can also be submitted electronically (in plain ASCII or postscript
format) to  petros at ifd.mavt.ethz.ch  or  juergen at idsia.ch

Petros & Juergen