Connectionist symbol processing: any progress?

Steve Gallant sgallant at kstream.com
Mon Aug 17 12:29:38 EDT 1998

In addition to the work on Latent Semantic Indexing mentioned by Tony Plate,
there is a body of work involving 'Context Vectors'.  This approach
was specifically motivated by an attempt to capture semantic information
in fixed-length vectors, and is based upon work I did at Northeastern U.

A good overview of LSI and Context vectors can be found in:

Caid WR, Dumais ST and Gallant SI. Learned vector-space models for
     document retrieval. Information Processing and Management, Vol. 31,
     No. 3, pp. 419-429, 1995.

and the original source was:

Gallant, S. I. A Practical Approach for Representing Context And for
     Performing Word Sense Disambiguation Using Neural Networks. Neural
     Computation, Vol. 3, No. 3, 1991, 293-309.

Over the last several years HNC Software has further developed and
commercialized this approach, forming a division called Aptex.

	Steve Gallant

At 08:30 PM 8/16/98 +1200, Tony Plate wrote:

>Work has been progressing on higher-level connectionist
>processing, but progress has not been blindingly fast.  As
>others have noted, it is a difficult area.
>
>One of things that has recently renewed my interest in the
>idea of using distributed representations for processing
>complex information was finding out about Latent Semantic
>Analysis/Indexing (LSA/LSI) at NIPS*97.  LSA is a method
>for taking a large corpus of text and constructing vector
..

Steve Gallant
Knowledge Stream Partners
148 State Street