Structured connectionist architectures

Bryan B. Thompson bryan at cog-tech.com
Sun Aug 16 22:27:46 EDT 1998

It seems that there are quite a few people working on structured
connectionist approaches to symbolic reasoning.  I would like to know
if anyone has put together a (annotated?) bibliography on such
research.

On 16Aug98, Tony Plate wrote (was Re: Connectionist symbol processing:
any progress?):

>  One very interesting model of analogical processing that was
>  presented at the workshop in Bulgaria (in July) was John Hummel and
>  Kieth Holyoak's LISA model (ref at end).  This model uses
>  distributed representations for roles and fillers, binding them
>  together with temporal synchrony, and achieves quite impressive
>  results (John, in case you're listening, this is not to say that I
>  think temporal binding is the right way to go, but it's an
>  impressive model and presents a good challenge to other
>  approaches.)

If none exists, I would be more that willing to compile one myself if
people will contribute entries / pointers to their own work.

--bryan thompson

PS: I will be on vacation next week (Aug 17-21) and will be unable to
answer any replies until I return.