New articles available from my website

Rolf P. Wuertz rolf at rug104.cs.rug.nl
Tue Feb 4 05:19:12 EST 1997

The following articles are available online:

Rolf P. W"urtz. Neuronal theories and technical systems for face
recognition. In Proceedings of the Fifth European Symposium On
Artificial Neural Networks, Bruges (Belgium), 16-18 April 1997

ABSTRACT: I present various systems for the recognition of human
faces. They consist of three steps: feature extraction, solving the
correspondence problem, and the actual comparison with stored
faces. Two of them are implemented in the Dynamic Link Architecture
and are, therefore, close to biological hardware, the others are more
technical in nature but also have some biological plausibility. At the
end, I will briefly discuss the coherence with the results of
psychophysical experiments on human face recognition.

compressed PS source (350kB, 6 pages):
http://www.cs.rug.nl/~rolf/esann97.ps.gz

Stephen McKenna, Sean Gong, Rolf P. W"urtz, Jonathan Tanner and Daniel
Banin. Tracking facial feature points with Gabor wavelets and shape
models. In Proceedings of the First International Conference on Audio-
and Video-based Biometric Person Authentication Crans-Montana,
Switzerland, 12-14 March 1997

ABSTRACT: A feature-based approach to tracking rigid and non-rigid
facial motion is described. Feature points are characterised using
Gabor Wavelets and can be individually tracked by phase-based
displacement estimation. In order to achieve robust tracking a
flexible shape model is used to impose global constraints upon the
local feature points and to constrain the tracker. While there are
many applications in facial analysis, the approach is quite generic
and can be used for tracking other textured objects.

compressed PS source (600 kB, 8 pages)
http://www.cs.rug.nl/~rolf/gwt-pdm.ps.gz

Rolf P. W"urtz, Wolfgang Konen, and Kay-Ole Behrmann. How fast can
neuronal algorithms match patterns? In Christoph von der Malsburg and
Jan C. Vorbr"uggen and Werner von Seelen and Bernhard Sendhoff (eds.),
Artificial Neural Networks - ICANN 96 , pages 145-150. Springer
Verlag, 1996.

ABSTRACT: We investigate the convergence speed of the Self Organizing
Map (SOM) and Dynamic Link Matching (DLM) on a benchmark problem for
the solution of which both algorithms are good candidates. We show
that the SOM needs a large number of simple update steps and DLM a
small number of complicated ones. A comparison of the actual number of
floating point operations hints at an exponential vs. polynomial
scaling behavior with increased pattern size. DLM turned out to be
much less sensitive to parameter changes than the SOM.

compressed PS source (60 kB, 6 pages)
http://www.cs.rug.nl/~rolf/icann96.ps.gz

| Rolf P. W"urtz | mailto: rolf at cs.rug.nl | URL: http://www.cs.rug.nl/~rolf/ |
| Department of Computing Science,  University of Groningen, The Netherlands |