Post Doc Opening: Network Solutions to Cognitive Tasks

Jay McClelland jlm at cnbc.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 22 17:58:10 EDT 1997

	  Post-Doctoral Opening:  Computational Analysis of
	     Neural Network Solutions to Cognitive Tasks

I have three years of funding to support a post-doctoral fellow to
study how task constraints and priors (both hard or soft constraints)
jointly shape the representations that emerge in connectionist
networks when they are applied to cognitive tasks in natural domains
such as morphology, natural kind semantics, structure of language, and
reading.  I'm hoping to find someone familiar with the psychological,
neuropsychological, and connectionist research in one or more of these
areas who also posesses a firm understanding of the mathematics
relevant to Bayesian/MDL formulations of network learning mechanisms.

Interested applicants should send email containing a brief statement
of interest a CV, and the names, smail, and email addresses of three
individuals who can be contacted for references (all ascii please!).
Please also provide the same materials on paper plus copies of
publications and preprints.  Start date can be any time in the next 12
months.  PLEASE INCLUDE THE SUBJECT LINE OF THIS MESSAGE IN THE
SUBJECT OF YOUR ELECTONIC REPLY.

    |  James L. (Jay) McClelland                                  |
    |      Co-Director, Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition  |
    |                   Professor of Psychology, Carnegie Mellon  |
    |        Adjunct Prof, Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon and  |
    |                     Neuroscience, University of Pittsburgh  |
    |  jlm at cnbc.cmu.edu or         |                    Room 115  |
    |  mcclelland+ at cmu.edu         |            Mellon Institute  |
    |  412-268-4000 (Voice)        |           4400 Fifth Avenue  |
    |  412-268-5060 (Fax)          |        Pittsburgh, PA 15213  |
    |  Home page: http://www.cnbc.cmu.edu/people/mcclelland.html  |