Euro-SPP '95

Martin Davies martin.davies at psy.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 22 13:15:31 EDT 1995

EUROPEAN SOCIETY FOR PHILOSOPHY AND PSYCHOLOGY

FOURTH ANNUAL CONFERENCE

St. Catherine's College
Oxford  OX1 3UJ

30 August - 1 September 1995

This conference is supported by
the McDonnell-Pew Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience and by
the Mind Association.

The Fourth Annual Conference of the European Society for Philosophy
and Psychology will be held at St. Catherine's College Oxford, from
Wednesday 30 August to Friday 1 September 1995.

The programme includes:
*Invited Lectures* by Michael Posner, Wolfgang Kunne, Jacques Mehler
and Alan Cowey;
*Invited Symposia* on Attention and Space, Emotion and Irrationality,
Foundations of Artificial Life, and Brain Imaging;
plus Submitted Papers and Posters.

The conference desk will open at 9.00 am on Wednesday 30 August.
Coffee will be available from 11.00 am and the first session will
commence at 11.30 am.  The final session of the conference will end
at about 4.30 pm on Friday 1 September.
There will be a Conference Dinner on the Friday evening at a cost of
approximately 20 pounds per head.

**REGISTER NOW     PAY LATER!**

The Euro-SPP and St. Catherine's College would welcome an early
indication of your intention to attend this conference.
Please register now.  We will invoice you later.

If you pay your Euro-SPP Membership Fees and return your completed
Conference Registration Form by *Friday 16 June* then a special
Conference Registration Fee of 30 pounds will apply.

After that date, the Conference Registration Fee will be 35 pounds
for Euro-SPP members.
The Conference Registration Fee for non-members of the Euro-SPP is
55 pounds.

The basic accommodation and meals package, from mid-morning on
Wednesday 30 August until late afternoon on Friday 1 September,
costs 108 pounds.

Bed and breakfast accommodation is also available for the nights of
Tuesday 29 August, Friday 1 September, and Saturday 2 September, at
an additional cost of 28 pounds per night.

Accommodation is in single study-bedrooms.  A limited number of
bedrooms with en suite bathroom may also be available at a supplement
of 12 pounds per night.

For those who do not require accommodation, the basic meals package
(excluding breakfast), from mid-morning on Wednesday 30 August until
late afternoon on Friday 1 September, costs 60 pounds.

**DISCOUNTS FOR STUDENTS**

The Conference Registration Fee for students is 10 pounds for
Euro-SPP members or 20 pounds for non-members.

The McDonnell-Pew Centre for Cognitive Neuroscience and the Mind
Association have provided a number of bursaries to assist students
with the costs of accommodation and meals at Euro-SPP '95.  These
will be awarded to students in order of receipt of applications,
until the resources are used up.  A McDonnell-Pew Bursary or Mind
Association Bursary offers a discount of 40 pounds on the accommodation
and meals package or a discount of 20 pounds on the meals only package.

In order to apply for a bursary, you must include with your Conference
Registration Form a letter from your supervisor confirming that the
conference is relevant to your studies.

This announcement is also available on the World Wide Web at:
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/users/ronaldl/espp.html

For information about the conference, please contact:
Euro-SPP '95,
Department of Experimental Psychology,
South Parks Road, Oxford  OX1 3UD, England.
Email:  espp95 at psy.ox.ac.uk
Fax:  +44 1865 310447

Euro-SPP Membership fees: Dfl. 50,- or Dfl. 35,- for students.
Fees must be paid in Dutch currency. Fees may be paid by Mastercard.
For membership details, please contact:
Mrs. Susan Struycken, Department of Psychology, Tilburg University,
P.O. Box 90153, 5000 LE Tilburg, The Netherlands.
Email:  espp at kub.nl

PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME
WEDNESDAY 30 AUGUST

9.00 am		Conference desk opens

11.00 am	COFFEE

11.30 am - 12.45 pm
	INVITED LECTURE 1:  The McDonnell-Pew Lecture
	Imaging the Mechanisms of Consciousness
	Speaker:
	Michael Posner (Psychology, Oregon)

1.00 pm 	LUNCH

2.30 - 4.30 pm
	SYMPOSIUM 1:  Attention and Space
	Speakers:
	John Duncan (MRC Applied Psychology Unit, Cambridge)
	Pierre Jacob (Philosophy, CNRS, Paris)
	Albert Newen (Philosophy, Bielefeld)

4.30 - 5.30 pm	POSTER SESSION and TEA

5.30 - 7.00 pm	SUBMITTED PAPER SESSIONS  1A/1B
1A
5.30	Wendy Clements (Psychology, Sussex) and Josef Perner
	(Psychology, Salzburg)
6.15	Ted Ruffman (Psychology, Sussex)

1B
5.30	Greg Currie (Philosophy, Flinders University, Adelaide)
6.15	Sonia Sedivy (Philosophy, Toronto)

7.15 pm		DINNER  followed by

	INVITED LECTURE 2:  The Mind Association Lecture
	Intentional Content
	Speaker:
	Wolfgang Kunne (Philosophy, Hamburg)

THURSDAY 31 AUGUST

9.00 - 11.00 am
	SYMPOSIUM 2:  Emotion and Irrationality
	Speakers:
	Nico Frijda (Psychology, Amsterdam)
	James Hopkins (Philosophy, King's College, London)

11.00 am	COFFEE

11.30 am - 12.45 pm
	INVITED LECTURE 3:  Towards a Biology of Language
	Speaker:
	Jacques Mehler (Cognitive Science, EHESS, Paris)

1.00 pm 	LUNCH

2.15 - 4.30 pm	SUBMITTED PAPER SESSIONS 2A/2B/2C
2A
2.15 	Georges Rey (Philosophy, Maryland)
3.00	Owen Flanagan (Philosophy, Duke University, North Carolina)
3.45	Ullin Place (Thirsk, North Yorkshire)

2B
2.15	J.G. Taylor (Mathematics, King's College, London)
3.00	Laurie Stowe (Language and Literature, Groningen)
3.45	Susan Dwyer (Philosophy, McGill University, Montreal)

2C
2.15	Christoph Hoerl (Philosophy, Oxford)
3.00	Michel Treisman (Psychology, Oxford)
3.45	Karen Neander (Philosophy, Australian National University)

4.30 - 5.00 pm 	TEA

5.00 - 7.00 pm
	SYMPOSIUM 3:  Foundations of Artificial Life
	Speakers:
	Christopher Langton (Santa Fe Institute, New Mexico)
	Luc Steels (AI Laboratory, Free University of Brussels)
	Michael Wheeler (Cognitive and Computing Sciences, Sussex)

7.00 pm		BUSINESS MEETING followed by RECEPTION and DINNER

FRIDAY 1 SEPTEMBER

9.00 - 11.15 am	SUBMITTED PAPER SESSIONS 3A/3B/3C
3A
9.00	Paul Pietroski (Philosophy, McGill University, Montreal)
9.45	Kirk Ludwig (Philosophy, Florida)
10.30	Antoni Gomila (Philosophy, University of the Balearic Islands)

3B
9.00	Beatrice de Gelder, Jean Vroomen and Jan Pieter Teunisse
	(Psychology, Tilburg)
9.45	Philip Benson (Physiology, Oxford) and Mary Katsikitis
	(Psychiatry, Adelaide)
10.30	Anthony Skillen (Philosophy, Kent)

3C
9.00	Andy Young (MRC Applied Psychology Unit, Cambridge) and
	Tony Stone (King Alfred's College, Winchester)
9.45	Richard Held (Brain and Cognitive Science, MIT)
10.30	Lawrence Weiskrantz (Psychology, Oxford), John Barbur and
	Arash Sahraie (Applied Vision Research Centre, City University,
	London)

11.15 am	COFFEE

11.45 am - 1.00 pm
	INVITED LECTURE 4:
	Localisation of Functions in the Cerebral Cortex: Modern Phrenology?
	Speaker:
	Alan Cowey (Psychology, Oxford)

1.00 pm 	LUNCH

2.15 - 4.30 pm
	SYMPOSIUM 4:  Brain Imaging
	(A McDonnell-Pew Symposium in Cognitive Neuroscience)
	Speakers:
	Dick Passingham (Psychology, Oxford)
	Chris Frith (MRC Cyclotron Unit, Hammersmith Hospital)
	David Rosenthal (Philosophy, City University of New York)

4.30 pm 	TEA

There will be a CONFERENCE DINNER on Friday evening

POSTER PRESENTATIONS by David Buller (Philosophy, Northern Illinois); Matthew
Elton (Philosophy, Stirling); Brian Keeley (Philosophy, University of
California, San Diego); Jonathan Knowles (Philosophy, Birkbeck College,
London); Ronald Lemmen (Cognitive and Computing Sciences. Sussex); Kenneth
Livingston (Philosophy, Vassar College, New York); Gregory Mulhauser
(Philosophy, Glasgow); Ajit Narayan and Jeremy Olsen (Computer and Cognitive
Sciences, Exeter); Greg Ray (Philosophy, Florida); Antti Revonsuo (Cognitive
Neuroscience, Turku); Carolien Rieffe (Psychology, Free University,
Amsterdam); Tadeusz Szubka (Philosophy, Catholic University of Lublin);
Yoshio Yano (Psychology, Kyoto University of Education)

CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FORM
Please complete and sign this form and send it, as soon as possible,
to:
Euro-SPP '95,
Department of Experimental Psychology,
South Parks Road, Oxford  OX1 3UD, England.

Name:  ______________________________________________________

Professional affiliation:  __________________________________

Address:  ___________________________________________________

Email:  _____________________________________________________

Fax:    _____________________________________________________

Conference Registration Fees:

35 pounds (or 30 pounds before 16 June) for non-student members
55 pounds for non-student non-members

10 pounds for student members
20 pounds for student non-members

I expect to attend the Euro-SPP '95 Conference in Oxford.
I have indicated my requirements by ticking below.
Please send me an invoice in due course.
I shall keep you informed of any changes in my plans.

Signed: _____________________________________________________

Date:   _____________________________________________________

** I shall require the basic meals only package at 60 pounds.
(Please note any special dietary requirements.)

** I shall require the basic meals and accommodation package
at 108 pounds.(Please note any special dietary requirements.)

** I shall require a room for the night of Tuesday 29 August
at 28 pounds.

** I shall require a room for the night of Friday 1 September
at 28 pounds.

** I shall require a room for the night of Saturday 2 September
at 28 pounds.

** I request a room with en suite bathroom at an additional cost
of 12 pounds per night (subject to availability).

** I expect to attend the Conference Dinner on Friday 1 September
at a cost of 20 pounds.

** Please send me information about hotel accommodation in Oxford.

** I am a student, and I am applying for a *McDonnell-Pew* or
*Mind Association* Bursary.  I enclose a letter from my supervisor.