preprint

Bernardo Lopez lopez at Physik.Uni-Wuerzburg.DE
Mon May 22 15:40:15 EDT 1995

FTP-host:       ftp.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de
FTP-filename:  /pub/preprint/WUE-ITP-95-011.ps.gz

The following paper has been placed in the Neuroprose archive
(see above for ftp-host) as a compressed postscript file named

            WUE-ITP-95-011.ps.gz (10 pages of output)

email address:                  lopez at physik.uni-wuerzburg.de

****  Hardcopies  cannot be provided   ****

Title:

Storage of correlated patterns in a perceptron

Authors:

B L\'opez, M Schr\"oder and M Opper
Institut f\"ur Theoretische Physik, Universit\"at W\"urzburg,
Am Hubland, D-97074 W\"urzburg

Abstract:

We calculate the storage capacity of a perceptron for correlated
gaussian patterns. We find that the storage capacity $\alpha_c$ can
be less than 2 if similar patterns are mapped onto different outputs
and vice versa. As long as the patterns are in general position
we obtain, in contrast to previous works, that $\alpha_c \geq 1$ in
agreement with Cover's theorem. Numerical simulations confirm the
results.