Position available: Arris Pharmaceutical

Ajay Jain jain at arris.com
Fri Mar 17 12:58:20 EST 1995

Position available: Arris Pharmaceutical Corporation
Job Title:          Scientist, Computational Sciences

Arris Pharmaceutical is a South San Francisco-based pharmaceutical
company of about 85 people (NASDAQ: ARRS).  We are dedicated to the
efficient discovery and development of orally-active human
therapeutics.  Computational approaches to drug discovery form one of
our core technologies, and we have developed novel techniques for
computer-aided drug design that rely ideas from machine learning,
computational geometry, chemistry, and physics.

Job description and requirements:

Working as a member of the Computational Sciences Department, perform
applied research in computational drug design, particularly in the
areas of flexible molecular docking, three-dimensional quantitative
structure-activity prediction, flexible molecular database screening,
and de novo ligand design.

The position requires a PhD in Computer Science with significant
research experience in computational geometry, machine learning,
pattern recognition, or related fields.  Formal training in organic
chemistry is also required.  The ideal candidate will have
demonstrated success in applied research on non-toy problems requiring
understanding of the underlying problem domain.  Proficiency in C or
C++ is also required.

Please send your resume with the names and addresses of three
references to me (address below).  Some publications that are
illustrative of work in our group are listed below:

A. N. Jain, N. L. Harris, and J. Y. Park.
Quantitative Binding Site Model Generation: Compass Applied to
  Multiple Chemotypes Targeting the 5HT1A Receptor.
Journal of Medicinal Chemistry.  In press (appearing very soon).

A. N. Jain, T. G. Dietterich, R. L. Lathrop, D. Chapman,
  R. E. Critchlow, B. E. Bauer, T. A. Webster, and T. Lozano-Perez.
Compass: A shape-based machine learning tool for drug design.
Journal of Computer-Aided Molecular Design 8(6): 635-652, 1994.

A. N. Jain, K. Koile, D. Chapman.
Compass: Predicting biological activities from molecular surface
  properties; performance comparisons on a steroid benchmark.
Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 37: 2315-2327, 1994.

T. G. Dietterich, A. N. Jain, R. L. Lathrop, and T. Lozano-Perez.
A comparison of dynamic reposing and tangent distance for drug
  activity prediction.
In Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 6, ed. J. D.
Cowan, G. Tesauro, and J. Alspector. San Francisco, CA: Morgan
Kaufmann. 1994.