TR Available: The Use of Cross-Validation in Neural Network

Christopher Gordon CHRIS at gauss.cam.wits.ac.za
Tue Mar 7 20:06:22 EST 1995

I apologize to anyone who tried to unsuccesfully uncompress the file
gordon.extrapolation.ps.Z which is advertized below. It was compressed with
gzip not unix compress. gzip can be used to uncompress it. I will be replacing
it with a unix compressed version as soon as possible. I will post another message
when I have do so.

> FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
> FTP-filename: /pub/neuroprose/gordon.extrapolation.ps.Z

> The following 12 page paper is now available by ftp:
>
> The Use of Cross-Validation in Neural Network
> Extrapolation of Forest Tree Growth.
>
> C. Gordon, University of the Witwatersrand.
>
> Presented at PRASA (1994).
>
> Abstract:
> A back-propagation multilayer Artificial Neural
> Network (ANN) is used to model the mean growth
> rate of different plots of Pine trees.
> Cross-validation is found to be essential in
> providing a good extrapolation. Predictions are
> made for different plots which have different
> initial densities and different artificial thinning
> regimes. Comparisons are made  with a
> standard nonlinear regression solution.
>

> * FTP procedure:
>  unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (or 128.146.8.52)
>  Name: anonymous
>  Password: (email address)
>  ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
>  ftp> binary
>  ftp> get gordon.extrapolation.ps.Z
>  ftp> quit

* Christopher Gordon                                               *
* Department of Applied Maths                                      *
* University of the Witwatersrand                                  *
* Internet : CHRIS at gauss.cam.wits.ac.za                                 *
* Snail Mail : PO Box 65684, Benmore 2010, South Africa            *
* Tel: (011)716-3229(W)                                           *