post doc position

Andy Barto barto at cs.umass.edu
Fri Jul 14 17:46:22 EDT 1995

Dear Colleague:

I am looking for a postdoctoral researcher for a project using mathematical
and computer models to refine and test hypotheses about how the cerebellum
and motor cortex function together to support motor activity. We are
constructing a large scale-model of the cerebellum and associated premotor
circuits that is constrained by the anatomy and physiology, but that is
also abstract to allow us to explore its control abilities in a
computationally feasible manner. We are specifically focusing on the
learning of skilled reaching behavior. The post doc will stongly interact
with physiologists in collaborating laboratories who study motor control in
animals, but should be most skilled in computational approaches to motor
control and in adaptive neural network simulation.

If you are interested in this position, which will be available this Fall,
or in additional details, please contact Gwyn Mitchell
(mitchell at cs.umass.edu, tel (413) 545-1309, fax (413) 545-1249). If you
know of any suitable candidate who might be interested in this position, I
would appreciate it if you could pass this information along to them. Thank
you very much.

Sincerely,

Andrew G. Barto, Professor
Computer Science Department, LGRC
University of Massachusetts
Box 34610
Amherst MA 01003-4610

Refs:   Houk et al., Trends in Neuroscience 16; pp. 27-33, 1993; Houk and Barto,
In G. E. Stelmach and J. Requin, eds, Tutorials in Motor Behavior II, pp.
71-100, Elesevier, 1992.