Reinforcement Learning Paper

guzman@gluttony.cs.umass.edu guzman at gluttony.cs.umass.edu
Wed Jul 5 16:16:28 EDT 1995

Reinforcement Learning in Partially Markovian Decision Processes

            submitted to NIPS*95 (8 pages)

FTP-HOST: ftp.cs.umass.edu
FTP-FILENAME: /pub/anw/pub/guzman/guzman-lara.PMDP.ps.Z

ABSTRACT

	We define a subclass of Partially Observable Markovian
Decision Processes (POMDPs), which we call {\em Partially
Markovian Decision Processes} (PMDPs), and propose a novel
approach to solve this kind of problem. In contrast to traditional
methods for POMDPs, our method does not involve estimation of the state
of an underlying Markovian problem; its goal is to find an optimal
observation-based policy (an action-selection rule that uses only
the information immediately available to the agent). We
show that solving this non-Markovian problem is equivalent to
solving multiple Markovian Decision Processes (MDPs).
We argue that this approach opens new possibilities
for distributed systems, and we support this claim with
some preliminary results
where the use of an observation-based policy yielded a
good solution in a complex stochastic environment.

  Sorry, no hard copies

  Sergio Guzman-Lara
  Computer Science Department
  LGRC, University of Massachusetts