activation function gain

Martin Brown mbrown at aero.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 30 05:06:04 EST 1995

With reference to Dr. G. Thimm's paper about the relationship
between the gain of the activation function and the learning
rate, we investigated a similar topic a couple of years ago
and also looked at how the size of the bias term affects the
condition of the learning problem. See chapter 4 in:

@book{BrownHarris:94,
	AUTHOR	=	"Brown, M. and Harris, C.",
	TITLE	=	"Neurofuzzy Adaptive Modelling and Control",
	PUBLISHER = "Prentice Hall",
	YEAR	=	1994,
	VOLUME	=	"",
	SERIES	=	"",
	ADDRESS =	"Hemel-Hempstead, UK",
	EDITION	=	"",
	MONTH	=	""	}

or the condensed version in:

@inproceedings{BrownHarris:93a,
	AUTHOR 	= 	"Brown, M. and An, P.C. and Harris, C.J. and Wang H.",
	TITLE	=	"How Biased in your Multi-Layer Perceptron",
	BOOKTITLE =	"World Congress on Neural Networks",
	YEAR	=	1993,
	EDITOR	=	"",
	PAGES	=	"507--511",
	ORGANIZATION =	"",
	PUBLISHER =	"",
	ADDRESS	=	"Portland, Oregon",
	MONTH 	=	"",
	NOTE	=	"Volume 3"	}

Needless to say though, we probably weren't the first!

Martin Brown
ISIS research group,
Department of Electronics and Computer Science,
University of Southampton, UK.

Fax: 01703 592865
Email: mqb at ecs.soton.ac.uk