About sequential learning (or interference)

crr@cogsci.psych.utah.edu crr at cogsci.psych.utah.edu
Wed Jan 11 13:48:46 EST 1995

A paper I wrote ages ago speaks to this issue as well, in which
we examined the spacing effect using NETtalk as a "verbal connectionist
learner" and found (unlike the catastrophic interference that everyone's
been talking about) that the effects of distributing practice (learning
a little bit each time over many times distributed in time) is pretty
similar in people and in nets:

@inproceedings{Rosenberg86,
   author = {Charles R. Rosenberg and Terrence J. Sejnowski},
   address = {Hillsdale, NJ},
   booktitle = {Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society},
   month = {August},
   note = {Amherst, MA},
   pages = {72-89},
   publisher = {Lawrence Erlbaum},
   title = {The Spacing Effect on {NETtalk}, A Massively-Parallel Network},
   year = {1986}
}

It seems to have been lost in the shuffle and I couldn't resist mentioning
it any longer.

Sorry, no url site yet.

Charlie