2nd CFP: Neural Nets & Genetic Algorithms Workshop

njm@cupido.inesc.pt njm at cupido.inesc.pt
Sun Apr 16 08:32:51 EDT 1995

         EPIA'95 WORKSHOPS - CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

           NEURAL NETWORKS AND GENETIC ALGORITHMS

                     A subsection of the:
  FUZZY LOGIC AND NEURAL NETWORKS IN ENGINEERING WORKSHOP

  Seventh Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence
              Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal
                     October 3-6, 1995

 (Under the auspices of the Portuguese Association for AI)

      REMEMBER:   SUBMISSION DEADLINE: May 2, 1995

                        INTRODUCTION
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~

The   workshop   on  Fuzzy  Logic  and  Neural  Networks  in
Engineering,   running   during   the   Seventh   Portuguese
Conference  on Artificial Intelligence (EPIA'95), includes a
subsection on Neural Networks and Genetic Algorithms.

This subsection of the workshop will be devoted to models of
simulating  human reasoning and behaviour based on GA and NN
combinations.   Recently   in   disciplines   such   as  AI,
Engineering,  Robotics  and Artificial Life there has been a
rise  in  interest  in  hybrid  methodologies such as neural
networks  and  genetic algorithms which enables modelling of
more realistic flexible and adaptive behaviour and learning.
So  far  such  hybrid  models  have proved very promising in
investigating  and  characterizing  the  nature  of  complex
reasoning and control behaviour.

Participants  are  expected  to  base  their contribution on
current  research  and  the  workshop  emphasis  will  be on
wide-ranging  discussions of the feasibility and application
of such hybrid models. This part of the workshop is intended
to  promote  the  exchange  of ideas and approaches in these
areas  and  for  these methods, through paper presentations,
open   discussions,  and  the  corresponding  exhibition  of
running systems, demonstrations or simulations.

              COORDINATION OF THIS SUBSECTION
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Mukesh Patel
 Institute of Computer Science,
 Foundation for Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH)
 P.O.Box 1385,
 GR 711 10 Heraklion, Crete, Greece

 Voice: +30 (81) 39 16 35
 Fax: +30 (81) 39 16 01/09
 Email: mukesh at ics.forth.gr

The   submission   requirements,  attendance  and  deadlines
information  are  the  same  of the workshop, which Call for
Papers  is  enclosed.  Further  inquiries could be addressed
either   to  the  subsection  coordinator  or  the  Workshop
address.

         EPIA'95 WORKSHOPS - CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

  FUZZY LOGIC AND NEURAL NETWORKS IN ENGINEERING WORKSHOP

  Seventh Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence
              Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal
                     October 3-6, 1995

 (Under the auspices of the Portuguese Association for AI)

                        INTRODUCTION
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Seventh Portuguese Conference on Artificial Intelligence
(EPIA'95) will be held at Funchal, Madeira Island, Portugal,
between October 3-6, 1995.  As in previous cases  ('89, '91,
and '93),   EPIA'95   will   be  run  as  an   international
conference,   English   being  the  official  language.  The
scientific  program  includes  tutorials,  invited lectures,
demonstrations, and paper presentations. The Conference will
include three parallel workshops on  Expert  Systems,  Fuzzy
Logic and Neural  Networks,  and  Applications  of  A.I.  to
Robotics  and  Vision  Systems.  These  workshops  will  run
simultaneously (see below) and  consist  of  invited  talks,
panels,    paper    presentations   and   poster   sessions.
Fuzzy Logic And Neural Networks In Engineering workshop  may
last for either 1, 2 or 3 days, depending  on  the  quantity
and quality of submissions.

   FUZZY LOGIC AND NEURAL NETWORKS IN ENGINEERING WORKSHOP
The  search  for  systems simulating human reasoning in what
regards uncertainty has created a strong research community.
In particular,  Fuzzy Logic and  Neural Networks have been a
source of synergies among researchers of both areas,  aiming
at  developing  theoretical  approaches   and   applications
towards  the  characterization  and  experimentation of such
kinds of reasoning.
The  workshop  is  intended to promote the exchange of ideas
and approaches in those areas,  through paper presentations,
open discussions,  and  the  corresponding   exhibition   of
running systems, demonstrations or simulations.
The  organization  committee  invites  you  to  participate,
submitting papers together with  videos,  demonstrations  or
running  systems,   to   illustrate   relevant   issues  and
applications.

                         EXHIBITIONS
                         ~~~~~~~~~~~
In  order  to  illustrate   and   to   support   theoretical
presentations   the  organization   will   provide  adequate
conditions (space and facilities) for  exhibitions regarding
the three workshops mentioned. These exhibitions can include
software running systems  (several platforms are available),
video  presentations  (PAL-G VHS system),  robotics  systems
(such  as  robotics  insects,  and autonomous  robots),  and
posters.  On  the  one  hand,  this  space  will  allow  the
presentation  of  results and real-world applications of the
research developed by our community and,  on  the  other  it
will  serve  as a source of motivation to students and young
researchers.

                   SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
                   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Authors are asked to submit five (5) copies of their  papers
to  the  submissions  address by May 2, 95.  Notification of
acceptance  or  rejection  will  be  mailed to the first (or
designated)  author  on  June 5, 95, and camera ready copies
for  inclusion  in  the  workshop proceedings will be due on
July 3, 95.  Each  copy of submitted papers should include a
separate  title  page  giving  the  names,  addresses, phone
numbers   and   email  addresses  (where available)  of  all
authors, and a list of keywords identifying the subject area
of the paper.  Papers should be a maximum of  16  pages  and
printed on A4 paper in 12 point type with  a  maximum  of 38
lines per page and 75 characters per line ( corresponding to
LaTeX article style, 12 pt).  Double sided  submissions  are
preferred.  Electronic  or  faxed  submissions  will  not be
accepted.  Further  inquiries  should  be  addressed  to the
inquiries address.

                         ATTENDANCE
                         ~~~~~~~~~~
Each  workshop  will be limited to at most fifty people.  In
addition to presenters of papers and posters,  there will be
space for a limited number of other  participants  chosen on
the  basis  of a  one- to two-page  research  summary  which
should  include a list of relevant publications,  along with
an electronic mail address if possible.  A  set  of  working
notes  will  be  available  prior to the commencement of the
workshops.  Registration  information  will  be available in
June 1995.  Please write for registration information to the
inquiries address.

                          DEADLINES
                          ~~~~~~~~~
    Papers submission: ................. May  2, 1995
    Notification of acceptance: ........ June 5, 1995
    Camera Ready Copies Due: ........... July 3, 1995

                        PROGRAM-CHAIR
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                 Jose Tome (IST, Portugal)

                      ORGANIZING-CHAIR
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
               Luis Custodio (IST, Portugal)

              SUBMISSION AND INQUIRIES ADDRESS
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EPIA'95
Fuzzy Logic & Neural Networks Workshop
INESC, Apartado 13069
1000 Lisboa Portugal
Voice: +351 (1) 310-0325
Fax: +351 (1) 525843
Email: epia95-FLNNWorkshop at inesc.pt

                     PLANNING TO ATTEND
                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
People planning to submit  a  paper  or/and  to  attend  the
workshop are asked to complete and return the following form
(by fax or email) to the  inquiries  address  standing their
intention.  It  will help the workshop organizer to estimate
the  facilities needed and will enable all interested people
to receive updated information.

|                   REGISTRATION OF INTEREST                     |
|           (Fuzzy Logic & Neural Networks Workshop)             |
| I intend to submit a paper (yes/no). . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
| I intend to participate only (yes/no). . . . . . . . . . . . . |
| I will travel with ... guests                                  |