** Walter Heiligenberg **

Terry Sejnowski terry at salk.edu
Fri Sep 9 23:29:35 EDT 1994

Walter Heiligenberg died in the USAir crash on September 8 near
Pittsburgh.  He was returning from Germany and planning to attend
a neuroscience retreat.  Walter was a pioneer in modeling
neural systems and made major contributions to our understanding
of the jamming avoidance response in electric fish.  He wrote about
this system in his book "Neural Nets in Electric Fish", published
by the MIT Press.  His tragic death is a great personal loss to his
many friends and colleagues.  We will all miss him greatly.

Terry

-----