Neural net paper available by anonymous ftp

Mario Marchand mario at physics.uottawa.ca
Tue Dec 6 09:18:06 EST 1994

The following paper, which was presented at the NIPS'94 conference,
is available by anonymous ftp at:

ftp://dirac.physics.uottawa.ca/usr2/ftp/pub/tr/marchand

FileName: nips94.ps

Title: Learning Stochastic Perceptrons Under k-Blocking Distributions

Authors: Marchand M. and Hadjifaradji S.

Abstract:
We present a statistical method
that PAC learns the class of stochastic
perceptrons with arbitrary monotonic activation function
and weights $w_i \in \{-1, 0, +1\}$
when the probability distribution that generates
the input examples is member of a family that we call {\em k-blocking
distributions\/}. Such distributions
represent an important step beyond the case
where each input variable is statistically independent
since the 2k-blocking family contains all the Markov
distributions of order k.
By stochastic perceptron we mean a perceptron which,
upon presentation of input
vector $\x$,  outputs~1 with probability  $f(\sum_i w_i x_i - \theta)$.
Because the same algorithm works for any monotonic
(nondecreasing or nonincreasing) activation function $f$
on Boolean domain,
it handles the well studied cases of sigmo\"{\i}ds
and the ``usual'' radial basis functions.

ALSO: you will find other papers co-authored by Mario Marchand in
      this directory. The text file: Abstracts-mm.txt contains a
      list of abstracts of all the papers.

PLEASE: communicate to me any printing or transmission problems.
        Any comments concerning these papers are very welcome.

  |  UUU            UUU            Mario Marchand                  |
  |  UUU       OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO    Department of Physics           |
  |  UUU      OOO   UUU      OOO   University of Ottawa            |
  |   UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU       OOO   150 Louis Pasteur street        |
  |           OOO            OOO   PO BOX 450 STN A                |
  |            OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO    Ottawa (Ont) Canada K1N 6N5     |
  |   ***** Internet E-Mail: mario at physics.uottawa.ca **********   |
  |   ***** Tel: (613)564-9293 ------------- Fax: 564-6712 *****   |