CNS*93

Jim Bower jbower at smaug.cns.caltech.edu
Wed May 12 17:10:17 EDT 1993

       Registration information for the
   Second Annual Computation and Neural Systems
                   Meeting
                   CNS*93

        July 31  through August 6,1993
                Washington DC

	This posting announces registration for this
year's Computation and Neural Systems meeting
(CNS*93).  This is the second in a series of annual
inter-disciplinary conferences intended to address
the broad range of research approaches and issues
involved in the general field of computational
neuroscience.  As last year, this meeting will bring
together experimental and  theoretical
neurobiologists along with engineers, computer
scientists, cognitive scientists, physicists, and
mathematicians  interested  in  understanding how
biological neural systems compute.  The meeting will
equally emphasize experimental, model-based,  and
more abstract theoretical approaches to understanding
neurobiological computation.

        	Meeting Structure

	The meeting will be composed of three parts: a
day of tutorials, three and a half days of research
presentations, and two and a half days of follow up
workshops.  The first day of the meeting (July 30)
will be devoted to tutorial presentations and
workshops focused on particular technical issues
confronting computational neurobiology as well as
general issues related to computational neurobiology.
Introductory tutorials will also be given. The next
three and a half days will include the main technical
program consisting of plenary, contributed and poster
sessions.  Oral presentations will be made in one
continuous session.  Posters will be presented each
evening.  Following the main meeting, there will be
two and a half days of focused workshops at a resort
in West Virginia. Workshop topics will be established
via email communication prior to the meeting as well as
during the main meeting based on papers presented and
issues raised.

	            Location

	The tutorial day and the main meeting itself
will be held at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda.  This
modern hotel is located at One Bethesda Metro Center
in downtown Bethesda with  easy access to the DC
metro system.  Following the main meeting, two days
of postmeeting workshops will be held at the Coolfont
resort which is set within 1350 mountainous acres in the
Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia.

                  Accommodations

	Main Meeting. We have reserved a block of rooms at
special rates in the conference hotel.  Regular registrants
(i.e. non students) $89  single, $125 double, and full time
students $79  single or double.  Registering for the
meeting, WILL NOT result in an automatic room reservation.
Instead you must make your own reservations by contacting:

            The Hyatt Regency Bethesda
            One Bethesda Metro Center
            Bethesda, MD  20814
            (301) 657-1234 or 1-800-233-1234

NOTE:  IN ORDER TO GET THE REDUCED RATES, YOU MUST
INDICATE THAT YOU ARE REGISTERING FOR THE CNS*93
MEETING.  STUDENTS WILL BE ASKED TO VERIFY STATUS.

	Workshops.  Accommodations for the workshops
will be provided onsite at Coolfont resort and are
included in the price of registration.  All meals are
also included in the registration fee. Acknowledgment
of registration for the workshops and payment of fees
WILL constitute a guarantee of accommodations at
Coolfont.  However, the total accommodations
available for the workshops are limited, so please
register early.

             Registering for the meeting

	We would recommend registering for the meeting as
soon as possible as space for some meeting events is
limited.   Participants can register for the meeting in several
different ways.  1) electronically, 2) via email,
3) via regular surface mail.  Each different method is
described below.  Please only register using one method.
You will receive a confirmation of registration within
two weeks.

1) Interactive electronic registration:

For those of you with internet connectivity who would like
to register electronically for CNS*93 we have provided an
internet account through which you may submit your
registration information.   To use this service you
need only "telnet" to "mordor.cns.caltech.edu"
and login as "cns93".   No password is required.
For example:

        yourhost% telnet mordor.cns.caltech.edu
        Trying 131.215.137.69 ...
        Connected to mordor.cns.caltech.edu.
        Escape character is '^]'.

        SunOS UNIX (mordor)

        login:  cns93

        Now answer all questions

Note that all registration through this electronic service
is subject to verification of payment.

2) For those with easy access to electronic mail, simply
fill in the attached registration form and email it to:

         cp at smaug.cns.caltech.edu

3) Finally, for those who elect neither of the above
options, please print out the attached registration form
and send with payment via surface mail to the address
indicated.

	In each case, registration will not be accepted as
final until all fees are paid.  Those registering by 1 or
2 above, but paying with check or money order should
send payment to the following address as with your name
and institution clearly marked.

             CNS*93 Registrations
             Division of Biology  216-76
             Caltech
             Pasadena,  CA 91125

           ************************
             REGISTRATION FORM
                  CNS*93
               WASHINGTON D.C.
           July 31 - August 8  1993
           ************************
Name  :
Title :
Address :
City :                 State :         Zip :
Country :
Telephone :              email address :

Registration Fees :

 Tutorial     (July 31)
_____  $  25        (includes lunch)

  Technical Program     (August 1-4)
_____  $ 300  Regular

_____  $ 125  Full-time Student
          (Include verification of status)

_____  $   50  Banquet
          (for each additional banquet ticket)

       (main registration includes one banquet
        ticket and book of abstracts)

Post-meeting Workshop   (August 4-7)

_____ $ 300   (includes round-trip transportation,
                  meals and lodging)
$ ______    Total Payment

Please indicate method of payment :
 ____  Check or Money Order (Payable in US. dollars
                             to CNS*92 - Caltech)
        will be sent to CNS*92 Registrations
                        Division of Biology  216-76
                        Caltech
                        Pasadena,  CA 91125
  ___ Visa   ___ Mastercard   ___ American Express
 Charge my card number
 Expiration date ____________
 Name of cardholder ___________________

Signature as appears on card :
_________________________ Date ____________

Please make sure to indicate CNS*93 and YOUR name
on all money transfers

Did you submit an abstract & summary ?
  (  ) yes    (  ) no
  title :

Do you have special dietary preferences or
restrictions (e.g., diabetic, low
sodium, kosher, vegetarian)?  If so, please note:

Some grants to cover partial travel expenses may
become available.  Do you wish further information ?
    (  ) yes    (  ) no

On-line access to additional meeting information

	Additional information about the meeting is available
via FTP over the internet (address: 131.215.135.69 ).  To
obtain information about the agenda, currently registered
attendees, or paper abstracts, the initial sequence is the
same (Things you type are in ""):

>	yourhost% "ftp 131.215.137.69"
>	220 mordor FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
 	Name (131.215.139.69:<yourname>): "ftp"
 	Password:  "yourname at yourhost.yourside.yourdomain"
>	230 Guest login OK, access restrictions apply.
 	ftp> "cd cns93"
>	250 CWD command successful.
 	ftp>

At this point you can do one of several things:

1)	To examine what is available type:  "ls"
2)	To download the meeting registration form type: "get
registration"
3)	To download the meeting agenda type: "get agenda"
4)	To download a list of attendees type: "get attendees"
5)	To download meeting abstracts first type: "cd
cns93/abstracts"
     a) to view the list of abstracts type:  "ls"
     b) to download specific abstracts type: "get <abstract
name>"
     c) to download all abstracts type:  "mget *"

Once you have obtained what you want type: "quit"