quantum neural computer announcement

Clay Spence x3039 cds at sarnoff.com
Tue Jan 12 17:08:07 EST 1993

> Since a correctly operating (pseudo) random number generator on a
> (conventional) computer *is* "produced by a chaotic, deterministic
> system", your assertion that you can use a computer to solve
> Schroedinger's equations and then select (pseudo) randomly based on
> the resulting probability distribution is equivalent to saying that
> you *can* produce this effect using a (chaotic) deterministic system.

To pick the nit a little more:

I stand corrected.  Measurements of quantum systems are truly random,
so unlike a Turing machine, a quantum computer could produce truly
random numbers and simulated measurement results which are known to be
free of peculiar correlations.  True randomness might be handy, but it
seems to me that assertion b ("it is far from clear that functionally
equivalent computational effects can not be generated by a Turing
machine") is only slightly weakened.

In case it's not clear, I generally agree with Mike Dyer and you.  The
idea of a quantum computer has some appeal to me, but I don't know of
any reasons to think that it would offer radically new computing
capabilities.

Clay Spence