Internal representations

LAI-WAN CHAN LWCHAN at CUCSD.CUHK.HK
Fri Mar 13 04:31:00 EST 1992

> I am interested in the internal representations developing in hidden
> units as a result of training with BP algorithm. I have done some

I have done experiments to find out the internal representations of the
BP net [1].  I used some training sets and looked at their hidden nodes.
The hidden nodes showed particular arrangement (e.g. residing on a circle)
for some training patterns.  I did not include any results on the digit
recognition but I found some hidden nodes have been trained to be
responsible for some feature detection.

[1]  Analysis of the Internal Representations in Neural Networks for
     Machine Intelligence, Lai-Wan CHAN, AAAI-91, Vol.2, p578-583, 1991.

Lai-Wan Chan,
Computer Science Dept,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T.,