Internal representations

Michal Morciniec MORCIH92%IRLEARN.UCD.IE at BITNET.CC.CMU.EDU
Thu Mar 12 09:11:29 EST 1992

I am interested in the internal representations developing in hidden
units as a result of training with BP algorithm. I have done some
experiments with simple ( one hidden layer with 4 nodes ) network
trained to recognise hand-written digits. I found that feature detectors
developed during training ( with 500 patterns ) are quite 'similar' to
those reported in [1].
Interesting question arises:
  IF training with different databases of patterns of certain class
  (in this case hand-printed digits) creates similar internal
  representations in hidden nodes of networks with similar architecture
  THEN is it possible to predict what features are likely to be developed
  as result of training with particular patterns ?
Does anybody have a knowledge of research in this area ( i.e WHY such and
not other features are created ) ?

1. Martin G.L., Pittman J.A, "Recognizing Hand-Printed Letters and Digits"

Thanks for comments,
!! Michal Morciniec        !!                                      !!
!! 3 Sweetmount Pk.,       !!                                      !!
!! Dundrum, Dublin 14,     !!                                      !!
!!                         !!  MORCIH92 at IRLEARN.UCD.IE             !!
!! Eire                    !!                                      !!