No subject

Holm Schwarze holm at nordita.dk
Thu Mar 12 05:47:29 EST 1992

** DO NOT FORWARD TO OTHER GROUPS **

The following paper has been placed in the Neuroprose archive in file
schwarze.gentree.ps.Z . Retrieval instructions follow the abstract.
Hardcopies are not available.

-- Holm Schwarze  (holm at nordita.dk)

	    GENERALIZATION IN A LARGE COMMITTEE MACHINE

		    H. Schwarze and J. Hertz
	   CONNECT, The Niels Bohr Institute and Nordita
            Blegdamsvej 17, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark

                          ABSTRACT

We study generalization in a committee machine with
non--overlapping receptive fields trained to implement a function
of the same structure.  Using the replica method, we calculate
the generalization error in the limit of a large number of hidden
units.  For continuous weights the generalization error falls off
asymptotically inversely proportional to alpha, the number of
training examples per weight.  For binary weights we find a
discontinuous transition from poor to perfect generalization
followed by a wide region of metastability.  Broken replica
symmetry is found within this region at low temperatures.  The
first--order transition occurs at a lower and the metastability
limit at a higher value of alpha than in the simple
perceptron.

To retrieve the paper by anonymous ftp:

        unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu  # (128.146.8.52)
        Name: anonymous
        Password: neuron
        ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
        ftp> binary
        ftp> get schwarze.gentree.ps.Z
        ftp> quit
        unix> uncompress schwarze.gentree.ps.Z
        unix> lpr -P <printer name> schwarze.gentree.ps