What is distributed/local representation

Yu Hu hu at eceserv0.ece.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 7 11:22:28 EDT 1991

While lots of buzzzzz words such as graceful degradation, appear in the
discussion, may I ask a rather naive question:

Shall someone give a mathematically (or .....ly) sound definition of
distribution and local representation (of what?) then we proceed to
discuss them?

Suppose the representations are for data vector in an N-dimensional
space.  Is Distributed representation referred to data with many non-zero
elements, and local representation to the opposite?  If not, what are they?

Regards,

Yu Hen Hu
Department of Electrical and Computer Engr.               (608)262-6724(phone)
Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison                              (608)262-1267(fax)
1415 Johnson Drive                                        hu at engr.wisc.edu
Madison, WI 53706-1691
U.S.A.