new cluster available

stolcke@ICSI.Berkeley.EDU stolcke at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jul 15 15:00:20 EDT 1991

Dear Connectionists:

After several months of testing I'm releasing a slightly revised version
my enhanced cluster utility.  A major memory allocation glitch was fixed
and support for System 5 curses pads was added.

I should note that for viewing the graph output of cluster the original
version of the xgraph program is not enough because it cannot handle
labeled datapoints. An enhanced version that works well with cluster can
be ftped at the same location as cluster (see below).

	Andreas

HOW TO GET CLUSTER

cluster is available via anonymous ftp from icsi-ftp.berkeley.edu
(128.32.201.55).  To get it use FTP as follows:

% ftp icsi-ftp.berkeley.edu
Connected to icsic.Berkeley.EDU.
220 icsi-ftp (icsic) FTP server (Version 5.60 local) ready.
Name (icsic.Berkeley.EDU:stolcke): anonymous
Password (icsic.Berkeley.EDU:anonymous):
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
230 Guest login Ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub/ai
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> binary
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get cluster-2.2.tar.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for cluster-2.2.tar.Z (15531 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
15531 bytes received in 0.08 seconds (1.9e+02 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.

HOW TO BUILD CLUSTER

Unpack in an empty directory using

% zcat cluster-2.2.tar.Z | tar xf -

Read the README and especially the man page (cluster.man) for information.
Check the Makefile for any compile time flags that might need adjustment.
Then compile with

% make

After making the appropriate adjustments in the Makefile you can

% make install