Description vs Explanation

crr%shum.huji.ac.il@BITNET.CC.CMU.EDU crr%shum.huji.ac.il at BITNET.CC.CMU.EDU
Thu Jan 17 11:31:12 EST 1991

	John von Neumann via the ever-present Lev Goldfarb:

    	The sciences do not try to explain, they hardly even try to
    	interpret, they mainly make models. By a model is meant a
    	mathematical constract which, with the addition of certain verbal
    	interpretations, describes observed phenomena. The justification of
    	such a mathematical construct is solely and precisely that it is
    	expected to work.

I don't know where this quote comes from, but I disagree.
Science also has the goal of explaining phenomena, not merely
describing them.  For a descriptive model, simple descriptive
(mathematical) adequacy is the goal, whereas an explanation
purports to go further and account for "the way things really are."
It may be worthwhile for people doing work in connectionist
models in particular to at least think about the distinction.
Sometimes I feel that we modelers are not always clear as to
which kind of model we are putting forth.

Charlie Rosenberg