Symposium on Models of Human Identification and Categorization

Tony Marley INAM%MUSICB.MCGILL.CA at BITNET.CC.CMU.EDU
Sun Feb 10 16:27:24 EST 1991

                               Department of Psychology
                               McGill University
                               1205 Avenue Dr Penfield
                               Montreal
                               PQ H3A 1B1
                               Canada

                     February 10, 1991

        MODELS OF HUMAN IDENTIFICATION AND CATEGORIZATION

 Symposium at the Twenty-Fourth Annual Mathematical Psychology
                             Meeting
              A. A. J. Marley, Symposium Organizer

             The Society for Mathematical Psychology
      Sponsored by Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
                       August 10-13, 1991

At each of its Annual Meetings, the Society for Mathematical
Psychology has one or more symposia on topics of current
interest. I believe that this is an opportune time to have the
proposed session since much exciting work is being done, plus
Robert Nosofsky is an organizer of the conference at Indiana, and
he has recently developed many empirical and theoretical ideas
that have encouraged others to (re)enter this area.

Each presenter in the symposium will have 20 to 30 minutes
available to them, plus there will be time scheduled for general
discussion. This meeting is a good place to present your
theoretical ideas in detail, although simulation and empirical
results are naturally also welcome. Remember, the Cognitive
Science Society is meeting at the University of Chicago August 7-
10, i.e. just prior to this meeting; thus, by splitting your
material in an appropriate manner between the two meetings, you
will have an excellent forum within a period of a week to present
your work in detail.

If you are interested in participating in this symposium, please
contact me with a TITLE and ABSTRACT. I would also be interested
in suggestions of other participants with (if possible) an email
address for them.

To give you a clearer idea of the kind of work that I consider of
direct relevance, I mention a few researchers and some recent
papers. This list is meant to be illustrative, so please don't be
annoyed if I have omitted your favourite work (including your
own).