Local receptive fields

Steve Hanson jose at learning.siemens.com
Tue Oct 30 17:23:55 EST 1990

splitting hairs:  tom, I don't think we need new terms to describe
what is a continuum... clearly in a limiting sense a fan-in function
that responds to a specific point in input space (although measures
input on each line to determine this) is similar in effect to a net
that has a subset of lines from the input space.  Really the important
issue is spatial locality... does a hidden unit have a preference for
a location or is it a global in its fan-in function.. this will have
affects on learning, recognition and approximation.

	steve