real thinking

Jordan B Pollack pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Tue Nov 13 21:22:08 EST 1990

**Do Not Forward**

As one of the persons responsible for the Connectfest, I apologize to
Peggy Jennings for all the hidden units of misogyny in the abridged
proceedings recently circulated. One has to read very closely to find:

 "I recursively RAAM it/with Symbols Goddammit"  (Brutality?)
 "We only had backpropagation."  (Sodomy?)
 "Your bottom feels better/Sliding over each letter" (slave branding?)
 "a willing basin of attraction" (body-part objectification?)

I also apologize to the women from Bloomington who were present during
the sophomoric smut contest, and must have felt uncomfortable with us
males engaging in such a "connectionismo" poetry competition. However, I
think the charge of sexism would be much more effective if offered with
the correct meter and form:

   The Boltzwoman yelled at the chauvinist:
   "You used the word "whore" and I'm pissed!
        I'll clamp down on your nodes,
        anneal your temporal lobes,
   And your genetic code will be fixed!"

Jordan Pollack                            Assistant Professor
CIS Dept/OSU                              Laboratory for AI Research
2036 Neil Ave                             Email: pollack at cis.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210                        Fax/Phone: (614) 292-4890