Tech-Report Announcement

white@cs.rochester.edu white at cs.rochester.edu
Fri Jun 15 11:40:15 EDT 1990

The following technical report is now available:

		LEARNING TO PERCEIVE AND ACT

	   Steven D. Whitehead and Dana H. Ballard

		Technical Report # 331 (Revised)
		 Department of Computer Science
		    University of Rochester
		      Rochester, NY 14627

ABSTRACT:  This paper considers adaptive control architectures that
integrate active sensory-motor systems with decision systems based
on reinforcement learning. One unavoidable consequence of active perception
is that the agent's internal representation often confounds external world
states.  We call this phenomenon perceptual aliasing and show that it
destabilizes existing reinforcement learning algorithms with respect
to the optimal decision policy.  We then describe a new decision system
that overcomes these difficulties for a restricted class of decision
problems.  The system incorporates a perceptual subcycle within the overall
decision cycle and uses a modified learning algorithm to suppress the effects
of perceptual aliasing. The result is a control architecture that learns not
only how to solve a task but also where to focus its attention in order to
collect necessary sensory information.

The report can be obtained by sending requests to either peg at cs.rochester.edu
or white at cs.rochester.edu.  Be sure to mention TR331(revised) in your request.