email total war

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at ai.toronto.edu
Sat Jan 13 12:58:35 EST 1990

I think it would be a pity if the connectionists email facility that Dave
Touretzky and CMU have generously provided was cluttered up by a war between
the BU camp and its rivals.  The neural network community has already suffered
a lot from this split, and it would be nice if we could de-escalate it.  Maybe
some people could refrain from claiming publicly and at great length to be the
best group in the world, and, as Dave suggests, others could resist the
temptation to publicly object.

I have been known to indulge in public polemics myself, but I now think its a
mistake.

Geoff