EURASIP Workshop on NN - Emergency announcement

Luis Borges de Almeida inesc!lba%alf at relay.EU.net
Thu Feb 8 14:03:13 EST 1990

[I apologize to the many readers of this list who are not involved in
the EURASIP workshop, but this was the means to get to many people fast,
on emergency. I hope you will understand

Thanks
Luis B. Almeida]

				VERY URGENT

	Dear workshop participant,

	We are very sorry to inform that, from what we have just
learned, the Portuguese air traffic controllers have announced a
strike from February 14 through February 18. This means there will be
a big trouble with transportation to/from Portugal. From our judgment
of the situation, we would guess that the strike will not be called
off. However, it is said that the Government might make a civilian
requisition of the controllers. Below are some indications of the
possible measures that you could take to ensure your arrival on time,
and your departure, in case the strike is maintained. Two points,
however, are very important: 1) ACT QUICKLY - alternate transportation
around those days will probably get full very fast. 2) LET US KNOW OF
YOUR TRAVEL ARRANGEMENTS, AS SOON AS POSSIBLE - we will try to help
minimize the consequences of this strike to our participants (the best
ways to contact us are given at the end of this message).

	Measures that you can take:

1 - Contact your travel agent, and have him make "protective
reservations" for arrival on the 13th, and departure on the 19th.

Don't forget to do that for all flights along your route. It is best
to also keep your old reservations, in case the strike is called off.
For extra lodging, if Hotel do Mar is full and can't help you, we can
suggest Holiday Inn in Lisbon (phone +351-1-735093, 735123, 735222,
736018; fax +351-1-736572, 736672; telex 60330 HOLINN P). Mention that
you are coming to a meeting organized by Inesc, they'll probalbly give
you a special price.

2 - Make "protective reservations" for arrival on the 14th and/or
departure on the 18th, in Madrid, instead of Lisbon. You can then use
the train to/from Lisbon, but we will also try to arrange a bus if
there are enough people in this situation. You can also choose to
drive between Madrid and Sesimbra (about 600 km).

You can contact anyone in the local organizing committee: Luis B.
Almeida, Ilda Goncalves, Joaquim S. Rodrigues, Fernando M. Silva, Joao
Neto

Phone numbers: +351-1-544607,545150
Fax: +351-1-525843 (may get quite busy, the next few days)
Telex: 15696 INESC P

E-mail:	lba at inesc.inesc.pt			(from Europe)
	lba%inesc.inesc.pt at uunet.uu.net		(from outside Europe)
	lba at inesc.uucp				(if you have access to uucp)
	{any backbone, uunet}!mcvax!inesc!lba	(older, but should still work)

	We (still) look forward to meeting you in Sesimbra.

					Sincerely,

					Luis B. Almeida