No subject

Selma M Kaufman smk at flash.bellcore.com
Thu Dec 28 11:16:57 EST 1989

Subject: Reprint Available:

Learning of Stable States in Stochastic Asymmetric Networks
Robert B. Allen and Joshua Alspector
Bellcore TR-AR-89-351
December, 1989

Boltzmann-based models with asymmetric connections are investigated.
Although they are initially unstable, we find that these networks
spontaneously self-stablize as a result of learning. Moreover,
we find that pairs of weights symmetrize during learning; however,
the symmetry is not enough to account for the observed stability.
To characterize the system we consider how its entropy is affected
by learning and the entropy of the information stream.  Finally, the
stability of an asymmetric network was confirmed with an electronic model.

For paper copies, contact:
Selma Kaufman, Bellcore, 2M-356, 445 South St., Morristown, NJ 07960-1910.
smk at flash.bellcore.com