[ACT-R-users] Support needed for using ACT-R RPC

Dan Bothell db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 10 10:37:51 EDT 2020

On 7/10/20 7:25 AM, Arun Krishna wrote:
> Hi,
> My java application needs to communicate to ACT-R cognition models via
> RPC.
> In a big picture level
> Java application -> Sent the current context information -> ACT-R run
> the cognition models ->Get back the result from ACT-R .
> I had gone through http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/actr7.x/remote.pdf as well
> as some examples given in
> \ACT-R\examples\connections\lisp . But I didn't understand enough to
> use the RPC.
> The current examples contain only two method invocations
> print("{\"method\":\"set-name\",\"params\":[\"Simple Java
> Example\"],\"id\":null}");
>
> // Evaluate the ACT-R "act-r-version" command. print("{\"method\":\"evaluate\",\"params\":[\"act-r-version\"],\"id\":1}");
>
> Is there an example which does more han this with RPC, i.e communication to a count model etc?
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Arun

Given what you describe, it would seem the evaluate method and the
corresponding result message sent back may be all you need. The evaluate
method is used to call commands that are available through the RPC
system, and the return value(s) are sent back using result.

Thus, you could evaluate ACT-R commands to set the context (add chunks,
set buffer contents, create visual features, etc), evaluate one of the
running commands to run the model, and then evaluate commands to get
information from the model, like the the contents of buffers or the
current model time.

The ACT-R reference manual contains details of all the commands
available remotely.  Also, if you haven't done so, I would recommend
working through the ACT-R tutorial to see practical examples of how many
of the commands are used to setup and run models.  Included with the
tutorial is also an implementation of the ACT-R RPC protocol in Python
which provides Python functions to call specific ACT-R commands, which
may be helpful in understanding how to use it.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have further questions,

Dan