[ACT-R-users] similarity in partial-matching/blending

Lynne Reder reder at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:32:37 EDT 2013

I have a tiny model based on earlier versions of ACT (no production system, just nodes and spreading activation).  Many of the assumptions are the same as the declarative side of ACT-R but some aren't, either by accident (I used what I thought was in the system) or design.  In any case I have been modeling partial matching for years.  The way it works in SAC is that if the component features are activated/primed, they spread activation to associated nodes.  If enough of the features are primed, it can get sufficient activation to get the wrong node over threshold.  We have modeled this in Feeling of Knowing tasks (where we swapped operators), in recognition tasks where the unique font of the probe word matches a studied word and the person FAs, etc.

If anyone is curious I can point you to the work (some is in the process of being written up for an invited chapter).

Cheers,
Lynne