[ACT-R-users] Looking for Ph.D. students with interest in cognitive modeling

Ion Juvina ion.juvina at wright.edu
Wed Nov 7 07:25:34 EST 2012

The Cognitive Modeling Group in the Department of Psychology at Wright State University is seeking candidates for multiple funded graduate student positions.  The group is lead by Drs. Ion Juvina (psych-scholar.wright.edu/ijuvina) and Joseph Houpt (www.wright.edu/~joseph.houpt).  We work in areas ranging from low-level perceptual modeling to high-level cognitive processes such as decision-making and cognitive control.  Our interests include both computational modeling, particularly with ACT-R, and mathematical modeling, including dynamic systems and stochastic processes.

Graduate students will have the opportunity to work on both theoretical and applied problems.  Our group has active collaborations with a number of groups at the nearby Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, as well as connections in academia and industry.  Students will work toward a Ph.D. in Human Factors Psychology with a minor in Industrial/Organizational Psychology.

We are seeking candidates who have backgrounds in cognitive science, psychology, neuroscience, mathematics, computer science or engineering.  Candidates should be able to communicate effectively in English, both in writing and speaking.  Additional desired qualifications include programming skills (especially in R, Matlab, Lisp or Python); experience with statistical analysis and modeling (especially in R or Matlab); and experience with fMRI or EEG data collection and analysis.

Applications must be received by January 1, 2013.  Required applications materials are a statement of research interests, three letters of recommendation, official transcripts and an official copy of your GRE scores.  For information on application procedures, see:  http://www.wright.edu/cosm/departments/psychology/graduate/howtoapply.html.

International students are encouraged to apply.  Additional information for international applicants is available at: http://www.wright.edu/ucie/student/graduate_admissions.html

Ion Juvina, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology