[ACT-R-users] Models of listening to continuous speech?

Martin Greaves martin.greaves at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Aug 12 11:32:59 EDT 2009

Hi Bonnie

Further to Richard's comments, one of the key issues we were interested
in was rehearsal of auditory items.  We attempted to model the word
length effect in ACT-R using the audicon to represent a phonological
loop-like structure.  Whereas the Huss & Byrne model used declarative
memory for item storage and decay, and encoded list position within the
item chunk, we wanted to see whether a phonological loop could be
achieved using the intrinsic mechanisms of the audicon to account for
order and decay.  However, we found that maintaining any form of
rehearsal in the audicon to be difficult to implement.

One of the key problems is determining when the end of a list of items
has been achieved, since ACT-R places 'rehearsed' items back in the
audicon as unattended items.  Hence, once an item has been rehearsed, it
is added to the end of the existing list of items with nothing to
discriminate it from items in the current (unrehearsed) list of items.
Consequently, the audicon does not allow discrimination of lists.  In
order to get around this problem and determine when the end of the list
had been reached we added an 'end' item.  As Richard said, this was
argued as being analogous to a drawing of breath or a pause prior to any
further rehearsal of items.

A further problem with the model was that it failed to reproduce serial
order effects.  Although we obtained a good fit for word length,
particularly for one-syllable words, we found that serial position
curves were 'm' shaped rather than displaying extended primacy and
single-item recency.  This was because items simply dropped out of
memory if they were not rehearsed within the decay period, with no
possibility of recovery due to the all-or-nothing decay in the audicon.
Without intending to be in any way critical, this was not really
surprising given the operation of the audicon.  However, rehearsal would
not appear to be an issue in your case, so recall from the audicon
should simply represent an extended recency effect.

In the running memory span models we took a slightly different approach
to the model.  We assumed that storage might utilise a range of
available short-term memory structures, with recall from whichever
structures still contained items at recall.  This allowed continued use
of the audicon but brings declarative  memory into play, since a
spin-off from sub-vocal rehearsal is an item chunk in DM.  The audicon
was considered it to operate simply as an extended buffer containing the
last 2-3 items presented.  Thus, we recalled whatever was available from
the audicon at the point of recall, with order implicit in recall, prior
to recall of earlier items from declarative memory.  Using this approach
we were able to account for a number of possible rehearsal strategies
and what we termed rehearsal 'micro-strategies' (cf. Gray & Boehm-Davis,
2000) reproducing a range of patterns of recall observed empirically.
Were were also able to account for patterns of delayed recall when items
in the audicon had long since decayed through recall from declarative
memory.

Hope this is of help,

Martin