[ACT-R-users] ACT-R robot (UNCLASSIFIED)

Alex Kirlik kirlik at illinois.edu
Tue Jun 17 13:20:43 EDT 2008

Dear Troy and Bruce,

Of course I am not exactly sure what the nature of your "perception
problem" is, but I thought I would share (attached) a piece I wrote for
Wayne Gray's recent cognitive modeling book on the challenges that
must be met to use cognitive architectures in dynamic, interactive
contexts. You will see that one of the challenges I mention is
specifically
associated with a need to expand and/or rethink perceptual
functionality.

Hope something there is useful,

Alex

On Jun 10, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Kelley, Troy (Civ,ARL/HRED) wrote:

> Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
> Caveats: NONE
>
> Bruce,
>
> There are several people working with cognitive architectures (ACT-
> R and
> Soar) on robotics platforms.  Lyle Long at Penn State, Paul
> Benjamin at
> Pace University, John Laird at Michigan University, Greg Trafton and
> Alan Shultz at NRL.
>
> At the Army we have developed a program that was inspired by ACT-R
> called SS-RICS that interfaces with the ARIA object class for
> ActivMedia
> robots.
> (www.mobilerobots.com)
>
> Here is a link to some SS-RICS publications.
>
> http://www.ss-rics.org/Publications/Publications.aspx
>
> We have found that there is still a huge "perception problem" in
> robotics and using a cognitive architecture will not immediately solve
> that problem, however it will help.  We have been looking at using a
> cognitive architecture in conjunction with distributed connectionist
> systems which can do some limited types of perception.  But perception
> is a two way street and determining what kind of bottom up information
> to feed to a symbolic system and what types of top down information to
> feed to a connectionist system still remains a problem.
>
> Good luck!
> Troy D. Kelley
> AMSRD-HR-SE
> Army Research Laboratory
> Human Research and Engineering Directorate (HRED)
> Aberdeen Proving Ground, Aberdeen MD 21005-5425
> voice: 410-278-5869
> fax: 410-278-9523

Alex Kirlik
Acting Head, Human Factors Division
Professor, Human Factors, Psychology, Computer
  Science, Industrial Engineering, Beckman Institute
http://www.humanfactors.uiuc.edu/fac_Kirlik
(+1) 217-244-8972