[ACT-R-users] EMMA question (bug?)

Dario Salvucci salvucci at cs.drexel.edu
Wed Jul 9 22:25:15 EDT 2008

Dear Marc,

I'm not sure what constitutes "short" encoding times for you, but
certainly the shorter they are, the more skipping you should observe.

At first glance, the code change below may have adverse effects -- if
recog-time is between fprep-time and total-time, it's not clear to me
whether this would do the right thing (specifically whether the
encoding would complete at the correct time).  But the code as is
doesn't look quite right either, since as you suggest, the encoding-
complete might blast the pending movement after preparation.  Part of
the difficulty here is that the current eye module serves a dual role
as both a vision module and an eye-movement-motor module; this problem
you're having seems to reflect the tension between the two roles.

I'll run some further tests with this and we'll be in touch.  (I'll
also communicate with Mike Schoelles and Mike Byrne, who have spent
much precious time keeping EMMA up-to-date -- and a sincere thank-you
to them for their work by the way. :) )

Best,
Dario

On Jul 9, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Marc Halbrügge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while modeling some visual search behavior, I ran across the
> following problem:
>
> Salvucci (2001) states that "EMMA can produce skipped gazes by
> canceling
> saccades when encoding occurs quickly (i.e., before eye-movement
> preparation is complete)"
>
> but the ACT-R module skips gazes much too often when the encoding
> time is short. I tracked that down to line 391 in method initiate-
> eye-move:
>
> (when (<= recog-time (total-time sacc-mvmt))
>  (schedule-event-relative (max 0 recog-time)  'ENCODING-
> COMPLETE   ;;mjs
>

> I my opinion, this should be (changes in bold)
>
> (when (<= recog-time (FPREP-TIME sacc-mvmt))
>  (schedule-event-relative (max 0 recog-time)  'ENCODING-
> COMPLETE   ;;mjs
>

> What do you think?
>
> Greetings
> Marc